What's the difference between the 8.9" and 10"?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by atikovi, Jun 24, 2010.

1. atikovi

atikovi

For those that have used both, is the 10" easier to type on and is the screen easier to view? Is the physical size of the machine much bigger or heavier?

atikovi, Jun 24, 2010
  2. atikovi

Swarvey Moderator

I've used both an 8.9" 150, and a 10.1" 250. I don't believe there is much of a physical size difference between the two netbooks overall, screen size is of course larger.

I haven't noticed it to be any better/easier to type on than the old 8.9" screen. It does feel better to be on a bigger screen tho.

Swarvey, Jun 24, 2010
  3. atikovi

Orbiting234

Both the AOA150 and AOD250 use the exact same keyboard on them so one certainly is not easier to type on than the other. Screen is really about the only big thing different between the two. Same 1024x600 resolution but having a little more real estate isn't too bad. Oh, and upgrading the RAM in the D250 is much easier than in the A150 lol.

Orbiting234, Jun 24, 2010
  4. atikovi

longjohn412

The 8.9" Acer Ones are much easier to mod due to all the extra room around the LCD. The D250's are a bit harder to mod and the AO531h like I have is really hard to mod because it's so thin there isn't any room for anything extra. To make a touchscreen work I had to file around the bezel until it would fit around the touchscreen, there is simply zero room to fit a touchscreen between the LCD and bezel. There is also no place to put the touchscreen controller board so I had to remove the keyboard and mount it in there. Since I converted mine to a Tablet PC the keyboard wasn't accessible anyway, the downside is I can't find a way to remap the Fn key to control the brightness of the LCD. I also had to remove the old touchpad to find room to fit a wireless mouse PCB. I also hacked a USB Bluetooth dongle and installed it in the existing spot for the Bluetooth module and it works with the bluetooth switch which I have mounted in the bezel along with a power, WWAN and WLAN switch. Other features are I enabled the GPS on the Gobi1000 WWAN modem, I use a Bluetooth headset for voice control, added outboard antennas for the GPS and WWAN (Cell data modem) which is in the white PVC next to the computer and added a USB hub inside the console and have a built-in keyboard tray and USB keyboard AND a USB to serial adapter for the NMEA depth output from the Garmin fish finder next to the computer so I can make GPS calibrated depth maps.

Here's a picture of it in action on my boat and mounted with a Ram Mount Tough Tray II ( HIGHLY recommended)

[​IMG]

I was hoping the touchscreen would cut down the glare from the shiny LCD (Dumb marketing move by Acer and others) but as you can see I still get a fair amount of glare so I';m trying to work up some sort of hood to help shade the screen and cut the glare and washout from direct sunlight.

longjohn412, Jul 3, 2010
Ask a Question