What windows version are you running?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

Windows 10 was released not so long ago but there have been a lot of people that don't want to move to it. I already have it installed and find that initially it did have some kinks but with the upgrades it actually has become pretty good.
    What windows version are you running on your computer.

SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

The kind that runs in a box virtually ;) I don't trust windows anymore to run on a bare metal machine in my home or for any business. If a consumer wants to live by the edge of their seat dangerously with their sensitive and private data, then I can only do my best to help protect them to the agree they permit me to against attacks on that.

It still needs to be used for some things and has a place for graphics development and programming with various systems, but I try not to let any windows system I use virtually ever connect to the net for anything or get updates or anything devious like that.

Whenever I do use windows in a box, it's either win2000, windows xp, or windows 7 but only if I really have to for someone that needs help with something on it.

IBMPC8088, Feb 28, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  3. SirJoe

Sefie

Right now Windows 8.1 in the newest laptop, the oldest one is still running on Windows 7. I honestly prefer Windows 7, but since we don't have much of a choice anymore, well, I plan to keep on using Win 8.1 until I get a new laptop and I've no other choice but using win 10. Otherwise nah!

Sefie, Feb 28, 2016
  4. SirJoe

Delibrythe

I'm using Windows 10 and have had it installed since it was in Technical Preview stage in the summer. I had a few minor issues as well but nothing like the ones I had with Windows 8.1. I find it fast and enjoy having the start menu back. The upgrade can be a bit difficult but if you make sure you have all the latest drivers for your system and that your machine fits all the requirement, you should be good to go.

Delibrythe, Feb 28, 2016
  5. SirJoe

IcyBC

The original OS on my HP laptop is Vista but now that it has to be fixed, so I don't know what my nephew did to it to get it running again. I haven't a chance to see it or have possession of it yet. I am hoping he upgraded it to 8.1 so I don't have to do it myself.

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
  6. SirJoe

Corzhens

My laptop is running on Windows 7 as per the issue of our office (it is my official computer for work). But our home computer is still running on Windows XP because some old programs wouldn't run properly on Windows 7 so my husband restored the OS to Windows XP. Now there is a plan to buy a new computer, more likely a laptop, and he is contemplating if he would have Windows 10. He has apprehensions that it is not easy to adjust to the new OS.

Corzhens, Mar 1, 2016
  7. SirJoe

vinaya

Currently, I am using Windows Ultimate 7. I have tried upgrading to Windows 8 in the past, however, my experience with Windows 8 was not good. It crashed and I had to switch back to Windows 7. When I buy a new laptop, I will try Windows 10.

vinaya, Mar 2, 2016
  8. SirJoe

Pablo Diaz

Windows 10, but I'm planning on downgrading to Win7 because it isn't reliable at all (for me), mostly Nvidia driver crashing & most Microsoft newests apps (Photo, Edge) aren't what I'm looking for. I simply don't like them. Also, there has been some privacy issues regarding Windows 10 and even though I'm not sure if what people are saying is true, I'd rather not risk it and just downgrade. Needed to format my laptop anyways.

Pablo Diaz, Mar 3, 2016
  9. SirJoe

hafiz93

I'm using Windows 7 for my laptop and Windows 10 for my desktop. Even though I encountered some problems after upgrading my desktop to Windows 10, it's working pretty good for me so far. It did crashed multiple times in the past but right now it seems to be running quite smoothly.

hafiz93, Mar 7, 2016
  10. SirJoe

SirJoe

I didn't get it so early on but I also faced some issues initially. Fortunately, the were ironed out after the upgrades that windows 10 does occasionally.

SirJoe, Mar 7, 2016
  11. SirJoe

artyarson

I'm currently using Windows 7 and have nothing to complain about. I guess I'm not gonna change it in the nearest future.

artyarson, Mar 20, 2016
  12. SirJoe

CasualGoofy

This (almost) 6 year old notebook is running Windows 7. If it had touchscreen, I probably would upgrade to at least 8.1

Not to jinx myself, but I do think I've had minimal BSOD and crashes with Windows 7 than XP. The only times the notebook croaks would be when I'm playing certain mmorpg.

CasualGoofy, Mar 22, 2016
  13. SirJoe

fcuco

If you trust some reputable sources, the thing is not only true but much worse than people anticipated, this is not a conspiracy theory craziness or something, some people are really concerned with all the privacy issues that Windows 10 has. Common sense tells you that Microsoft, a for profit corporation, is not going to give away an operating system without expecting to profit from it somehow, that means that they have to be collecting some kind of data that needs to have some kind of value, and it has to be more lucrative than to simply sell you a copy of windows 7 at retail price, so, something is definitely going on.

fcuco, Mar 23, 2016
  14. SirJoe

spence88

I am currently running Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. I upgraded from XP and never looked back. DirectX11, superior interface, and other cool features are just too good to miss. There are still downsides, of course. I see no good reason to upgrade to Windows 8. I've seen it, there are no new features that I can really take advantage of. I also do not like the change in interface.

However, it's different with Windows 10. Many of my friends already upgraded to Windows 10, and I'm really tempted to after seeing the new features like DirectX 12. However, I am too lazy to upgrade. I am also wary because I've been told the upgrade cannot be undone, meaning I can't go back to Windows 7 if I wanted to. Is that correct?

spence88, Mar 24, 2016
  15. SirJoe

Nestone50

No, you can go back. When installing W10, the W7 is saved as a folder in your C drive as "old windows." However, I recall you can only go back for a certain period of time, something like 90 days. I have 4 computers, all of which were running W7. Upgraded all to W10 and have been happy with the result. You get to chose to keep all your programs and data during the install. So, unless your computer is very old, you shouldn't have a problem. I upgraded an old Acer netbook, an AOA-150, that I had previously updated from XP to W7. Had no difficulties at all. I did have to find a driver or two.

Nestone50, Mar 24, 2016
  16. SirJoe

SirJoe

I have windows 10 installed onto my computer. I still have windows 8.1 on a external disk.

SirJoe, Mar 24, 2016
  17. SirJoe

spence88

I see, so my Windows Product Key is upgraded to Windows 10? So let's say I upgraded to Windows 10 and the 90-day period expired. Suppose I want to reformat my hard drive. If I install Windows 7 my key will not work because it will only be valid for Windows 10? Is my reasoning correct? Thanks in advance.

spence88, Mar 25, 2016
  18. SirJoe

SirJoe

I don't thinks so, I think your product key is valid both for windows 7 and windows 10. I don't think that your product key gets nulled for windows 7 because you upgrade to windows 10.

SirJoe, Mar 25, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  19. SirJoe

obliviousme

I'm using Windows 10 and so far so good. There are few minor issues but in the grand scheme of things, it's a solid operating system. Works like a charm. I don't regret updating to Windows 10 as early as i had, i updated as soon as i got the green light from Microsoft.

obliviousme, Jun 9, 2016
  20. SirJoe

Vash

I am on Windows 10 right now. It is because my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 has come with WIn10. :D
    Although, before I got my Surface Pro 4 in last October, I had already upgraded my older laptop, a Dell Vostro 1500 from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Since they offer free upgrade, so I thought why not. I gave it a try and it was fine, even though my old laptop had no touchscreen. The general feeling of using something new is ... cool, lol.

My Surface Pro 4 had some issues at first, most of them are fixed after some updates.

Vash, Jun 13, 2016
Ask a Question