What WiFi Network Adapter Upgrade Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AspireAOA150, Apr 12, 2012.

1. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

What card are you using to get 802.11N?

I want to upgrade my AAO AOA150 from the Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter to something that supports 802.11N / Wireless-N for faster internet connections... What would you recommend? Any tips for Upgrading?

Thanx! John B.

AspireAOA150, Apr 12, 2012
  2. AspireAOA150

nestone

Here is what I did/suggest. Disable the Atheros card in Device Manager and get this mini USB wireless dongle. In the States, they are available for as little as $9. I installed WIndows 7 Home Premium on my AOA-150 and could not find a driver that worked properly for the Atheros card. Sure, Windows 7 drivers are available, but there is some sort of hardware conflict that resulted in constant freezes and BSOD. THe Epimax USB wireless LAN has n speed and I find reception to be as good or better than the built in Atheros card. It only sticks out from the case about a quarter inch and I leave it in all the time. Here is a link:
    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail ... &pl2_id=44

nestone, Apr 12, 2012
  3. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

Hey nestone, that's a great idea! ...doesn't get any simpler than that ...it's funny, I just thought about these dongle things this morning and wondering if there was an option there... thanks for the input... I'm going to look into it.

AspireAOA150, Apr 12, 2012
  4. AspireAOA150

AspireAOA150

Hi nestone, I hope you're having a pleasant weekend... I opted to go with a recommended Intel 4965AGN (MM1)... although I'm not sure what the MM1 means... there is an MM2 card as well... maybe just a version number, as per one eBay seller.

As per The Acer Guy Forum
    "I would recommend the Intel 4965 ABGN wireless card. It is very plentiful on ebay, and pretty cheap. both antennas will be used, it is not just one for G and one for N. The 4965 card will have 3 connectors, but you can use just the 1 and 2 connector with no problem."

Ps. here's a great Laptop / Notebook / Netbook Lap Desk / Table / Stand
    Mainstays EZ Fold Laptop Table $24.96

Other ones that I tested and are nice... search for them at Walmart...
    Laptop Buddy Cushioned Desk with Pen and Cup Holder, Gray $11.88
    LapGear Deluxe Computer LapDesk $22.88
    Wintec FileMate Cozy Laptop Cooling Pad (may no longer be available at Walmart... Got one for $4.88!! ... Elsewhere?)

AspireAOA150, Apr 21, 2012
  5. AspireAOA150

IPexpress

Hi, Many wireless adapters support the 802.11n standard. A good quality adapter at a reasonable price would be the startech.com usb300wn2x2, available at many online computer and networking stores.

IPexpress, Jul 1, 2012
  6. AspireAOA150

Jaroc

I will recommend the Atheros AR5B95H. It is already in your white list and you just need to find the driver for it.

Jaroc, Jul 31, 2012
Ask a Question