What Linux distro do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by juniper, Sep 8, 2008.

1. juniper

juniper

What other Linux distros do you recommend for the Acer Aspire One? Currently installing Debian Lenny (As per instructions here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne) as a last resort since I messed up my system. I'm also not happy with the limitations within Linpus Lite.

If and once I get Debian running, I am considering getting unetbootin and maybe installing a different system. I want some ideas. I really like Ubuntu and it's derivatives, but I'm open to some other ideas. (I think) Debian is too big for the 8Gig HDD. I'd preferably like something that will not take a lot of space on the hard drive–I think this will be the main thing I will consider. Thanks! :)

juniper, Sep 8, 2008
  2. juniper

lotus49

None of the mainstream distros support the hardware fully. There is a report elsewhere on here that someone got ArchLinux fully working but I haven't investigated whether this really supports all the hardware.

I am a BIG fan of Ubuntu, but having tried Xubuntu and Ubuntu, I abandoned them for Linpus. Ubuntu didn't support the hardware (see Ubuntu thread for details) and is very slow to boot.

Unless you have particularly unusual requirements, tweaking Linpus might be your best option, at least everything works.

lotus49, Sep 8, 2008
  3. juniper

Veazer

If I'm happy with Linpus (still waiting for my AAO to arrive), can I upgrade to newer versions offered on linpus.com or is the acer version highly modified? Does the standard Linpus lite natively support all the AAO hardware?

Veazer, Sep 8, 2008
  4. juniper

dattaway

Backtrack3 has been very good when working with the latest wireless hardware.

dattaway, Sep 8, 2008
  5. juniper

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 8, 2008
  6. juniper

RockDoctor

I've got the AO150-1570 (120GB HDD w/ WinXP). I'm triple-bootin Fedora (Rawhide, the development version) and what will become Ubuntu 8.10; using GNOME with both. Wireless works without any messing around (2.6.27-xxx kernels). Haven't tried suspend and/or hibernate. SD card(s) must be in slot(s) at boot for slot(s) to be recognized. xD card not recognized. No blinking lights for wireless.

RockDoctor, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question