What Linux distro do you have installed?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

For those that don't want to use code it's just as easy, they have gnome in the software center. It's just a question of actually installing it, there are also other desktop environments there.

SirJoe, Apr 1, 2016
  2. SirJoe

fcuco

Nah, too much work, if I am using the computer as a server I simply go black box with that thing. If I want to use something for a desktop or laptop that looks cool I would go with elementary OS, that's based on Ubuntu anyway. That's a gorgeous distro that really turns some heads when you fire your laptop in public. I have found that the best why, for better or worse, to convince people to make the change to Linux is to provide them with something that looks beautiful and elegant, people don't care about specs or anything like that.

fcuco, Apr 1, 2016
  3. SirJoe

nytegeek

Unity is a shell for gnome. One doesn't switch from Unity to Gnome, because they are already using Gnome. They can replace unity with one of the other shells or they can use a different desktop environment like XFCE, KDE, etc...

nytegeek, Apr 11, 2016
  4. SirJoe

comfyNEET

I'm currently rocking Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS. It's Ubuntu, obviously, but instead of Unity it comes with the MATE desktop environment, which I prefer immensely. I like Ubuntu in general because, as cliché as it sounds, it just works. I've gotten comfortable with the terminal commands and the simplistic configuration that I don't feel like complicating things anymore.

I'm also a fan of less resource intensive/lightweight distributions like Puppy Linux, Crunchbang, etc that can be thrown onto practically any old laptop.

I would consider myself a Linux enthusiast in general and thoroughly enjoy trying out different distributions.

I've been looking at trying ReactOS next. It's supposed to be a Windows binary clone which allows you to run Windows software, but under the comfort and control that comes with an open source operating system. It's being built from the ground up by devs and looks pretty interesting if you ask me. Don't no if I'm ready to install and make it my daily driver just yet. Could always toy with it in a virtual desktop I guess.

comfyNEET, May 11, 2016
  5. SirJoe

nytegeek

ReactOS has had over a decade to get out of Alpha. It really isn't worth a try at this point and time. They raise money and spend it all on promotion instead of development. They need to bring on a few full time developers instead of screwing around with PR constantly.

nytegeek, May 11, 2016
Ask a Question