What Linux distro do you have installed?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

I have windows 10 and ubuntu studio installed on my computer. I am not the biggest fan of xfce but it does the job.
    Which linux distro do you have installed?

SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016
  2. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

It's usually an even distribution (no pun intended) between linux and BSD here. I have different ones on different systems, but for casual use and occasional writing and email, I have Lubuntu and Puppy Linux on this machine. On the desktops I have Debian linux and PC-BSD, and on the one for remote storage I'm using FreeBSD for that one (although it does have another partition for OpenBSD which is what I use for others when they need maximum security for networks and hosting their own content). On my personal server I'm using NetBSD, and use Tails either in emulation or as a live CD as needed.

IBMPC8088, Feb 28, 2016
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe

I have tried lubuntu and puppy Linux but am unfamiliar with BSD, I might still run it on a virtual box and see what it's like. I get the impression that it must be very light on resources.

SirJoe, Mar 1, 2016
  4. SirJoe

fcuco

I used to run Ubuntu but got tired of Unity, people claim that it is very user friendly but I actually hate it with a passion plus I think the thing looks ugly. I did not like it at all.

I run Ubuntu on all my servers but if I were to add it again to one of my laptops I would probably use something like Elementary OS because that's pure eye candy, absolutely gorgeous GUI.

fcuco, Mar 6, 2016
  5. SirJoe

SirJoe

Fortunately you don't have to run ubuntu with unity, you can change the desktop environment. It's as easy as going to the software center and looking up an alternative desktop environment.

SirJoe, Mar 12, 2016
  6. SirJoe

fcuco

Yes, I am aware of this, but I see Ubuntu as the distro that you would like to recommend to not so technical people that want to switch so I strongly believe that I should look nice and clean out of the box by default, even doing something like you are suggesting would be a daunting task for not technical people.

If people see you using something like elementary they are going to be naturally curious and will want to use that too, don't underestimate the power of eye candy.

fcuco, Mar 12, 2016
  7. SirJoe

Jonah_JJ

I have windows 7, Fedora, and Ubuntu. I have Fedora for wide compliance with the normal channels of open source technology. I have Ubuntu to keep my eye out for bugs when I install new programs on my grandma's desktop. And I use windows 7 whenever I have to resort to using MS Office in its native format.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 12, 2016
  8. SirJoe

SirJoe

I don't, that's why whenever I show someone Linux for the first time I try to show them the KDE desktop environment. I see your point, if someone has never tried Linux and gets stuck with Unity, they might not remain future users.

SirJoe, Mar 14, 2016
  9. SirJoe

fcuco

I remember seeing something about a distro that mimicked windows XP perfectly, to the point that an average user could never tell the difference unless they knew exactly where to look. You can also use some window managers that with a couple of tweaks end up looking exactly like
    OSX

fcuco, Mar 15, 2016
  10. SirJoe

SirJoe

Yes, I got to use it, I think they changed their look but here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the exception of a handful of details, it looked exactly like windows XP.

SirJoe, Mar 16, 2016
  11. SirJoe

djtech

Lol! You can actually find a distro that looks like windows 10 as well. People on this side of the fence are way more creative.

djtech, Mar 17, 2016
  12. SirJoe

fcuco

Jeez, I remember the thing being "similar" but that's just exactly the same, I wonder if they found themselves in some kind of copyright troubles because of that. That looks so cool that it is making me feel nostalgic about Windows XP. Man, Windows XP was cool, good memories.

fcuco, Mar 17, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  13. SirJoe

fcuco

I would be willing to do a bet with Vegas that you will never find one that tried to copy the GUI from Windows 8 or Windows Vista, I wonder why! :rolleyes: I all seriousness, that's good though, people are having fewer and fewer excuses to do the switch now that you basically rarely use desktop apps anymore and all that you need is a browser.

fcuco, Mar 17, 2016
  14. SirJoe

SirJoe

They must have, it no longer looks like that. It's Ylmf OS it doesn't look the same anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StartOS

SirJoe, Mar 18, 2016
  15. SirJoe

fcuco

I think that it was a voluntary thing since the wikipedia article that you linked says that Microsoft had no intentions of suing or going after them in any shape of form, probably because they were not big enough and the bad publicity of them destroying some dudes that were just creating a little linux distro was not worth it.

fcuco, Mar 19, 2016
  16. SirJoe

djtech

@fcuco Yeah all that you really need now is a browser. I open up my laptop and I just browse. I take a look at my tab and I just browse. Even when I am working, I use google drive and all the other google stuff. If I didn't have to play games, I would have bought a chromebook a long time ago.

djtech, Mar 19, 2016
  17. SirJoe

SirJoe

I think your right. I guess I'm to accustomed to seeing big companies destroying small ones that I didn't even read that part. I naturally assumed that they were pressured into doing so.

SirJoe, Mar 20, 2016
  18. SirJoe

fcuco

Well, yeah, I can't argue with that and that's why I actually bought a chromebook myself some time ago. This was a great investment as a travel laptop, extremely cheap, durable enough and portable. I like the fact that I can take it with me for a trip and I wouldn't be so distressed I it is stolen or damaged since it was so cheap. You can even install linux on it if you feel so inclined. I am not ready to give up traditional OS just yet, for software development a browser based OS is not enough.

fcuco, Mar 20, 2016
  19. SirJoe

headset85

I am a proponent of using any truly free GNU/Linux distro recommended and endorsed by the Free Software Foundation.

These ones include:
    • Blag
    • Dragora
    • Dynebolic
    • Guix System Distribution
    • gNewSense
    • Musix
    • Parabola GNU/Linux
    • Trisquel
    • Ututo XS
    Please look at the link below for more information:

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

My two favorite ones are gNewSense and Trisquel, in fact these are used by Richard Stallman himself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    headset85, Apr 1, 2016
  20. SirJoe

headset85

As far as I know, switching from Unity to Gnome is a piece of cake, so this is not an excuse for not using Ubuntu. It's as easy as opening a terminal window (CTRL + ALT + T) and running this command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback

Now, reboot your computer and you'll be asked which desktop environment you want to load:
    • Gnome Flashback (Compiz)
    • Gnome Flashback (Metacity)
    • Ubuntu (Default)

Regards,

headset85, Apr 1, 2016
Ask a Question