What I don't understand

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jimcpl, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jimcpl

jimcpl

Hi,

I don't understand why Acer is selling the new AOA150-1447 model with 1GB of RAM, if the machine can support 1.5GB. Especially since it's apparently such a pain to replace the memory. The price of a 1GB stick vs. the 512MB stick must be fairly nominal, so it just doesn't make sense?

Sorry for the rant :(...

Jim

jimcpl, Aug 27, 2008
  2. jimcpl

atarione

these netbooks are pretty price sensitive items (i think everyone but Asus and arguably MSI get that) while it may not seem like it is much more expensive to slap a 1GB vs 512MB stick in there if you are building 200,000 machines + a few dollars adds up pretty quickly. Also the profit margin on these things is pretty slim (especially w/ the price cuts).

EDIT I would in the strongest possible terms encourage Acer to make the AspireTwo with a easily accessible memory upgrade door however :D :D

atarione, Aug 27, 2008
  3. jimcpl

rjm

Correct Answer:

Microsoft does not allow the cheap netbook version XP to be installed on machines with more than 1 GB RAM. If Acer put 1.5GB in it, it would cost them about $70 more to install XP than if they capped it at 1GB.

This may change, as the agreement seems to be very ... "flexible".

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1953

rjm, Aug 27, 2008
  4. jimcpl

blackjack

I assume that's related to Vista and its higher minimum/recommended RAM requirements. That's the most bizarre rule I've ever heard of in my life. It's like, "How dare you, Acer, do something that would make Windows XP and user's programs/games etc. run better out of the box!" :p

blackjack, Aug 27, 2008
  5. jimcpl

darkwing602

Not to mention you have to format and reinstall to get it to run fast... McAfee Security Center preloaded? So lemme get this straight, it slows down my system like a real McAfee product, but it's still not a virus scanner... Interesting <cough>

darkwing602, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question