What Do I do next?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by i3ond, Aug 12, 2008.

1. i3ond

i3ond

I have a Acer Aspire One. I upgraded the Memory to 1.5gigs. I Have a 16gb SDHC Stick and I have the 8gb SSD.

I Formated the SSD into NTFS Format, And Installed Windows Xp Pro SP3

Disabled System Restore and Paging and Prefetching.

But I am still getting the hardDrive lag. Where the HD LED is flickering or solid, and no programs will load.

I was using it in linux before this, and there was a short delay , like when opening firefox. But it seems the lagg is allot worse on XP, and i hear other people saying they have theres running allot faster. So I was wondering what steps do I do next?

I would like to avoid Zif and CF SSD replacments if I could.

But I do have a 16gb SDHC Card.

So any Tips or guides would be awesome.

Thanks In advance!

i3ond, Aug 12, 2008
  2. i3ond

mazade

Hello there,
    Of the few things I know...
    I hear that people recommend fat32 over ntfs as far as performance goes, they say it has something to do with indexing. I don't have a good comparison because I setup my One with fat32 before thinking about ntfs. Even then I too experienced pauses in XP ranging from 5 to 30 seconds. Annoying? Yes.
    The one thing which I do look forward to messing with but have yet to.. is that FBFW thing that is talked about. The only reason I haven't is that the One is not going to be in my hands and I didn't want to saddle my sister with something that wasn't totally compatible and comfortable for her computing needs/wants. I do hear that since FBFW only reads from the SSD and operates everything else from within a ramdrive that it pretty much removes any pausing problems.

mazade, Aug 12, 2008
  3. i3ond

i3ond

Well, i just finished that Fbfw, its noticeably faster even in ntfs format. I have all my cache and all my heavy used folders on my SD card.

But what is left ? Switching to fat32? I don't feel like waiting 2hrs for the xp install and what not. Cause I am not sure if i will see any speed increase.

also i have the Intel SSD so my drive is slower

i3ond, Aug 12, 2008
  4. i3ond

mazade

I'm not sure how much more can be done... I wouldn't worry about trying to switch over to fat32 at this point... especially if you're saying that fbfw w/ntfs SSD is moving quickly. The One that I had(now sisters) also had the slower ssd version.
    That's encouraging to hear that fbfw really does make a positive impact on performance.

mazade, Aug 14, 2008
Ask a Question