What desktop environment do you use?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SirJoe, Jul 31, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

I have always used the more traditional desktop environments associated to Ubuntu, but recently I gave Cinnamon a try and I have been blown away by it. Ubuntu has recently launched Ubuntu Mate but I really think they should launch one with the Cinnamon desktop environ.
    What desktop environment do you use?

SirJoe, Jul 31, 2016
  2. SirJoe

hades_leae

Well, I don't know the exact definition of desktop environment. If that means what OS I'm using, then I have Windows 10, it's pretty boring, but I get my work done with it. I would like to see them go back to the old interfaces because the designs now are terrible to me.

hades_leae, Aug 1, 2016
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe

Unfortunately you can't change the desktop environment on windows but in Linux you have quit a few desktop environments to keep your Linux distribution feeling fresh. I have quit a few installed and will interchange in between them depending on my mood. If you find windows boring try giving Linux a try.

SirJoe, Aug 3, 2016
  4. SirJoe

Corzhens

I think I have tried using Linux once or twice just for a testing period in the office. But I am not comfortable. Besides, learning takes time and I have a lot of work to do so I couldn't do that. But with the Open Office, we were required to use instead of Microsoft Office to save on licenses. Now I am using Open Office. So if we would be required to shift to Linux, probably I have no choice but to learn it.

Corzhens, Aug 3, 2016
  5. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

Sounds like we're talking about linux more than other OSes here. Usually LXDE, KDE (if feeling classic on a system just needing a quick Startx to launch a UI to check something), or XFCE if not using LXDE otherwise. Anything but Unity.

IBMPC8088, Aug 6, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  6. SirJoe

SirJoe

There isn't much of a difference between Linux and windows. It does depend on which distro you are using and what desktop environment you use, but I think you will see that they are identical.

SirJoe, Aug 6, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  7. SirJoe

fcuco

I usually use Xubuntu or Lubuntu hence XFCE or LXDE, I don't like Unity, I don't like the colors nor the whole concept so I avoid using it. I prefer my environment to be as light weight as possible, I like my machines to boot fast and to run smoothly, in my opinion any GPU or CPU cycles used in order to show some gimmick transparency window effect or something is a waste of time and resources, but that's just me and I am talking about my work computer. When it comes to a personal use computer I think I enjoy the eye candy a little more, I want it to look good.

fcuco, Aug 16, 2016
  8. SirJoe

SirJoe

I find the biggest problem with unity the fact that you can't move the bar. It does make it look different for other OS but I would prefer it on the top or at the bottom and it's not snappy. When ever I install ubuntu onto my computer I always install LXDE. I don't normally install Xubuntu or Lubuntu I prefer installing ubuntu and then adding other desktop environments.

SirJoe, Aug 18, 2016
  9. SirJoe

fcuco

Yeah, I dislike Unity for the same reason, The concept was ok and I can see the logic behind a side bar but the lack of options for customizing the experience was a big mistake, specially for people with small monitors. I was never able to get used to the side bar and the way you launch and switch between programs. I also dislike the purple colors scheme but that's a personal opinion and something that you can actually change, but it is not pretty out of the box.

fcuco, Aug 29, 2016
  10. SirJoe

Aree Wongwanlee

Desktop environment only apply to people using Linux. For Windows users, there is only one desktop environment, which is the one provided by Microsoft.

I have used Linux. It's an operating system which I would have used exclusively, if there is a native Linux client for World of Warcraft, which is my main game. As for desktop environments for Linux, I like the LXDE. It has the functions which I use most of the time, like being able to monitor system resources. Plus it's light. I am not much in favor of desktop environments which come bundled with too many things. I prefer to pick and choose my own.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 30, 2016
  11. SirJoe

SirJoe

Fortunately the desktop environment is really easy to change, if you don't want to use commands all you have to do is go to the software center and install it there.

SirJoe, Sep 1, 2016
  12. SirJoe

fcuco

Yes, for more technically savvy people, but if I am trying to introduce ubuntu to my family members or other people that don't even understand what a desktop environment is having this confusing, not user friendly and weird GUI makes things complicated and I believe will hurt Ubuntu's adoption rates, not to mention that it is a little ugly and a lot of people just want things that are shiny and look good even if they are not that functional.

fcuco, Sep 1, 2016
  13. SirJoe

Aree Wongwanlee

The Ubuntu GUI is ugly? I suppose that's a very subjective matter. I did remember many people saying the same thing about the Windows 8 GUI when it first came out. One great thing about the Linux GUI is that you have a lot of choices. Changing from one interface to another is not much more than just clicking the mouse here and there.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 5, 2016
  14. SirJoe

SirJoe

All someone has to do is open the software center search for the desktop environment and install it. Not all of them are there but most of the bigger and more well known ones are.

SirJoe, Sep 5, 2016
  15. SirJoe

Aree Wongwanlee

Here's a random sampling of Linux desktops:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't they look familiar to any Windows users?

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 8, 2016
  16. SirJoe

SirJoe

I doubt it :D
    First one is Gnome second one is Cinnamon and the last one is the dreaded Unity. So what prize did I win. :p

SirJoe, Sep 15, 2016
Ask a Question