What desktop enviroment do you have installed.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

I recently installed ubuntu studio. I prefer Lxde but I do like how the programs are laid out in the menu. What desktop environment do you have installed?

SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

KDE or Gnome are good, but like you I prefer LXDE on linux distros for its ease of use and being light enough that you can use it well even on older systems. Xfce is a good alternative to Lxde sometimes, and I don't mind Mate, but I try to avoid anything with Ubuntu's Unity environment. That one is just not for me or what I do, and is too top heavy.

IBMPC8088, Feb 28, 2016
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe

I don't know why Ubuntu dropped gnome they could of kept it or at least tried to make something similar to it. I suppose it is iconic and and if you have to start your computer and are running ubuntu, nearly everyone will recognize it.

SirJoe, Mar 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. SirJoe

fcuco

Unity is simply horrendous, I don't like it at all, maybe I did not gave it enough time to grow on me but the sidebar thing is confusing and not very comfortable or user friendly. I really wonder if Unity is no hindering or hurting Unbutu's adoption rates since people coming from windows are going to hate it too.

fcuco, Mar 6, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. SirJoe

SirJoe

I think that it might be hurting it. Ubuntu has the potential to be the most distributed Linux os but it is currently in 3rd position.
    https://distrowatch.com/

SirJoe, Mar 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. SirJoe

nytegeek

I prefer Linux Mint to Ubuntu. The cinnamon variety is nice. I'm not really concerned with distrowatch rankings because they have very little to do with what works well for me personally.

nytegeek, Mar 9, 2016
  7. SirJoe

fcuco

Wow... ubuntu is now actually behind debian... Mint is everything that Ubuntu should be, and yet I still prefer elementary os, now that's a beautiful presentation for a desktop system, it looks so clean and so well designed that using it is a delight.

fcuco, Mar 10, 2016
  8. SirJoe

djtech

I like KDE mainly because it helps me stay in a familiar sort of a territory when it comes to usage and comfort. I am just so used to the windows experience that Gnome doesn't feel comfy anymore.

djtech, Mar 10, 2016
  9. SirJoe

SirJoe

KDE is just simply eye candy, I think it's one of the nicest looking desktop environments out there. The only down side to it is that it's a bit hungry when it comes to resources. I have been trying to install it onto ubuntu studio but still haven't been able to. The missing files are still not in the repository for ubuntu studios 15.10.

SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016
  10. SirJoe

djtech

Wow. Ubuntu Studio is great if you're into that sort of thing.
    True KDE may seem to take up more resources, but its still lighter than a lot of "paid" OSs out there.

djtech, Mar 12, 2016
  11. SirJoe

SirJoe

It really exceeded my expectations, there are programs there that I didn't know existed. I really do recommend it if you want to edit images or make some videos.

SirJoe, Mar 12, 2016
Ask a Question