What can I delete on the Linpus install?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspire 1ne, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Aspire 1ne

Aspire 1ne

I've yet to really decide what to do with my one yet, as to put a special edition of xp on it, keep linpus (I like the gui that acer put together), or install slackware (learn redhat and know redhat, learn slackware and know linux...) for LAMP learning and development practice. Slax is somewhat drawing my attention as well, but these things are not on topic of this, well, topic! I like a very minimal install, or rather, that is what I am wanting on this linpus install (basically remove everything but needed drivers for sound, wan / lan, etc. and add my own packages as I see need. If I were to go throguh the package manager, what must I keep on there to keep the most needed functions of my aa1 running smoothly?

Aspire 1ne, Nov 15, 2008
  2. Aspire 1ne

JimK

I can't give you any specifics, but I can tell you to be very careful about what you remove. Before I decided not to use Linpus, I removed a bunch of crud I didn't think I would need and it borked the whole system. If you want Firefox 3, you can install it but you can't take off Firefox 2 because other stuff that the desktop needs uses Firefox 2. The good thing about Linpus is that it's fast and lean, but the bad thing is that you really can't modify it much without it falling apart.

JimK, Nov 15, 2008
  3. Aspire 1ne

scottro

You can, using the add remove programs interface (known as pirut) remove all the languages that you don't need. That will give you about 1/3 of a gig back.

scottro, Nov 15, 2008
  4. Aspire 1ne

daldred

daldred, Nov 15, 2008
  5. Aspire 1ne

Aspire 1ne

Well, luckily I bought the 1gb ram / 160 gb hdd version of the one, but forked my xp for the linpus (just to see what the special build by acer was like. I will say that acer did one fine job of setting up an intuitive desktop, but that is retarted if you cannot remove something like ff2 with an upgrade to 3 and things not work.... thumbs down acer.

Then my next question; is there a compiled list of generic drivers that work for the one on other distros? If I can find them, atleast the wan drivers, I can play around with slackware or slax on it (slax looks like fun...).

Aspire 1ne, Nov 15, 2008
  6. Aspire 1ne

Aspire 1ne

I was able to create a bootable usb using the U3CUSTOM.iso method described elsewhere in this community, so U suppose I now need to explore customizing this distro as deeply as possible. I thank you for your assistance so far, but this topic is obsolete now, I will gain insight further into this over time and through here with more detailed topics.

Aspire 1ne, Nov 15, 2008
  7. Aspire 1ne

scottro

Firstly, thank you for telling us it's obsolete now--that helps keep people from spending their energy on something that isn't needed.

I'm sure you've already found out, but just in case, to answer the old question, the MadWifi special snapshots for the AR5007EG were the wireless drivers, but shouldn't be needed with the 2.6.27 kernels--I'm not sure what Slax is using, I haven't played with it yet. Once you do, putting your experiences with it on the board would be interesting for me, and no doubt, for many others.

scottro, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question