What are your methods for speeding up Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Kavon, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kavon

Kavon

With the default settings, Windows can be working very slowly at times. One way to speed up Windows is to turn off the search indexing function. Windows has a system where it indexes all the files on the hard drive so that they can be accessed and found faster when they are searched for. But paradoxically, this actually slows down Windows. Because this indexing function uses up a lot of system resources.

Are there any other ways that you know of that can significantly increase the speed and performance of Windows?

Kavon, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Kavon

something back

You could TURN OFF the prefetch file system here's how

1. Hold the Windows Key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
    2. Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
    3. The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
    4. Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
    5. Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service. In the “Startup type” dropdown menu, choose “Disabled“.

Also go to the task manager then disable the startup programs,defragging the
    reg file could also help you can find many programs online to achieve this.

The other thing is to use disk cleanup this will remove a lot of junk out of the hard drive

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    something back, Aug 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. Kavon

cluckeyo

I sped up my old laptop a lot by acquiring AVG PC Tune-up. It is a great little program and one thing it does is allow you to deactivate processes temporarily, that are running in the background. If you call on the program it will open and when your done it closes. Speeds things A LOT!!

cluckeyo, Aug 9, 2016
  4. Kavon

Corzhens

I check on msconfig and delete unnecessary programs that automatically run in booting. One is Google update and another is yahoo. Aside from that I see to it that my hard drive is spic and span. And when a ssuspected virus causes the slowdown then a scan is in order.

Corzhens, Aug 12, 2016
Ask a Question