WEP - Shared key not working ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by roydonaldson, Aug 13, 2008.

1. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Hi there,

Just got my lovely new Aspire One from amazon.co.uk yesterday. Set it up to connect to my wireless, no problems. Now I've run the Update utility and resetup the Wireless and it never connects anymore.

My router is set for a shared WEP key and works perfectly fine with everything else that I have. Any ideas ?

(and no I'd rather not move everything to WPA, WEP's perfectly fine for what I want)

Thanks,
    Roy.

roydonaldson, Aug 13, 2008
  2. roydonaldson

hmraao

I recently live-updated, only to discover that it wiped my wep settings. You may just need to recreate the wifi connection, as I did.

Ephraim Tutt...

hmraao, Aug 29, 2008
  3. roydonaldson

roberton

I've just bought an AA1 with Linux. It seems great except I cannot get the wireless connection working. I've a BT Voyager 2100 router and this works fine with other PCs. I'm using WEP, and a shared key. The connection manager sees the router correctly but refuses to connect.

I'd like to know if there's a problem with the wireless card in my AA1 or if it just doesn't work with the BT Voyager 2100. Has anyone else had any problems with this router?

Thanks.

roberton, Aug 29, 2008
  4. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Seems to be a bug in the software with Shared WEP keys. Try setting it to open, connect, wait, disconnect, set it back to shared and then connect. Bet it then works.

Roy

roydonaldson, Aug 29, 2008
  5. roydonaldson

roberton

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it but I'm not sure this will work or why it should work.

I've already tried every variation of WEP code and even no encryption. I went round to the neighbours and connected to their wireless network without any problems.

Connecting directly to the BT Voyager with a cable works perfectly.

I think the problen is with Linpus and the BT Voyager 2100 and would like to know if anyone has this working.

roberton, Aug 30, 2008
  6. roydonaldson

hmraao

I'm not sure what roy means by
    My understanding is that the terms Shared and Open describe the protocol used for the WEP key challenge. There's no actual sharing of keys, as such. There are situations in which you might need to connect using the Open protocol initially, before reverting to Shared, but it doesn't sound as if you've had any luck with that approach.

Nevertheless, it's a bit of a long shot, I know, but, based on your observation that you can connect to your neighbour's wireless router but not to your own, there is one last thing you might want to check. Is the MAC address of your AAO included in your Voyager's Access Control List? It could be that your neighbour isn't using MAC Address Control, but you are. I can't think why you wouldn't already be aware of this, but in case it had slipped your mind, I thought it might be worth mentioning.

And in case no one else brings it up, WEP is a bit vulnerable to attack, and Shared WEP even more so, if that's the only security you're using. If your hardware supports it, switching to WPA or WPA2 would be highly recommended.

If you're convinced it's a Voyager problem, why not create a post with Voyager in the subject title, so that other owners might spot it:)

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  7. roydonaldson

roberton

BT Voyager 2100 Router Problem?

hmraao

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked and the AAO Mac address is in the 'Wireless Clients Table' of the BT Voyager. Is this the same as the 'Access Control List' ?

I'll try using WPA encryption as well.

I think this is a problem with the Voyager but I'd like to hear from others with this router. Obviously if someone has a BT Voyager 2100 and their AAO connects to it, it's not a Voyager problem and I'm doing something wrong.

roberton, Aug 31, 2008
  8. roydonaldson

roberton

hmraao

Just looked at the router settings and found that I've not switched on MAC Access Control so this definitely is not the problem.

Thanks.

roberton, Aug 31, 2008
  9. roydonaldson

roberton

BT Voyager 2100 only works with WPA encryption.

hmraao/ Roy

I just (belatedly) tried WPA encryption instead of WEP and it works! Thanks for the help. Without a wireless connection the AAO was pretty useless. With it it's great!

I was reluctant to try WPA enccryption - I'd tried no encryption and that had failed.

Thanks again

Rob

roberton, Aug 31, 2008
  10. roydonaldson

whiterabit

HI Everyone just wanted to let you know that I have just bought a Acer Aspire One 150

and I have a BTVoyager 2000 and also cannot connect to wireless

I have wireless configured with shared wep and never had any problem , this is the 1st time i cannot connect to my AP... I have connected to my AP with lots of laptops and devices and OS Windows and Linux and for my surprise all worked fine.

This Linux "driver" or "application" must have some bug

whiterabit, Sep 6, 2008
  11. roydonaldson

hmraao

In case you haven't explored all possible configurations...

Sometimes, especially when using a downgraded speed for connection, it helps to attach to your wireless router via an adhoc connection, before attempting an AP connection, as setting up an adhoc connection often allows you to specify what speed you want to use, 802.11b, in the case of your 2000, whereas AP setups often try to work out what speed to use automatically, and may fail.

hmraao, Sep 6, 2008
  12. roydonaldson

surfbum

Hi, I have a similar problem with the AAO 110L WiFi - WEP doesn't seem to work under Linpus.

I can connect fine to a WPA-encrypted connection at my own house, but can't connect to an open WEP connection at my girlfriend's house (changing the router to use WPA is not an option). The same connection works fine on another laptop using Ubuntu. I have attempted to connect to the WEP manually without DHCP (using the settings such as IP address, primary DNS, subnet mask taken from the laptop running Ubuntu, where the connection to the WEP network is set up automatically using DHCP - don't even know what all that is...) and that seems to work: the Linpus network manager reports a connection, but Firefox 3.0 doesn't load any webpages.

Can anyone suggest what else to try?

Thanks!

surfbum, Sep 7, 2008
  13. roydonaldson

baudwalk

This is quite interesting: I can connect quite easily to my 3com and buffalo at home - both WEP and open. I can connect to my 3com at work but I can't connect to the Belkin. I have tried every option on the Belkin open, WEP, fixed transmission rates etc and although the Aspire sees the router it just won't connect. Needless to say all our Windows laptops connect without trouble.

I'm going to check on other makes of router.

I'm running Ubuntu with madwifi driver.

baudwalk, Sep 9, 2008
  14. roydonaldson

CAH

Hey Roy and everybody,

I seem to be having the exact same problem with WEP.

My router is an old Linksys that only offers WEP so I can't change it to WPA. (Model BEFW11S4 802.11B ) My Windows laptop connects fine.

When I turn off the encryption it connects fine. I've also had no problem connecting to public networks or my own network via the LAN wire. I have the Linpus (v 1.0.9.E) version of the Aspire One. (Bios 0.3109)

I hate to buy a new router since we are on a tight budget right now, plus I hate to not have the ability to connect to WEP networks since my in-laws have WEP.

Thanks
    Craig!

CAH, Nov 10, 2008
  15. roydonaldson

mzc

Hi Craig,

Just an advice: do not upgrade your BIOS to 3304 or 3305. this issue is caused by the linux wifi driver that Linpus provides. The problem may not exist in other Linux distros like Mandriva or ubuntu. Personally, I experienced issues with the 3305, but if you are in the XP environment 3305 and the new Atheros driver will fix this issue.

mzc, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question