Weird Sound Delays and Crackling Noises

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by niem102, Oct 6, 2008.

1. niem102

niem102

I've had my AAO for a month and a half now and been perfectly happy with it, but a couple days ago the sound started skipping and crackling a little bit. It was not that bad to begin with, and I hardly noticed it. Yesterday it got a little worse to the point that it was annoying, and I just stopped using it. The real problem though was today I went to watch a You Tube video and it was bad enough that I could not even follow the video.
    I saw another thread with some weird crackling noises that decided it was a problem of using too much RAM, but I tried without running any other programs, and everything else was running just fine with no lag.
    I tried plugging in headphones and the problem was just as bad.
    I have the 120GB HDD version with 1GB of RAM and running XP. I have not changed anything major or even updated anything that seems to have caused the problem.
    Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it?

niem102, Oct 6, 2008
  2. niem102

axotyl

yeah mine is doing this too, i dont know how to fix it

axotyl, Oct 6, 2008
  3. niem102

URBANRACER

i been 3 days with my AAO 160gb xp and i can listen to a crackling noise every 10 to 15 seconds and notice this yesterday
    it may be the hdd anyone knows?

URBANRACER, Oct 6, 2008
  4. niem102

odoacer

I have the same problem and it is only an issue in windows, the sound does not crackle when I am using Ubuntu
    This needs to be addressed

odoacer, Nov 12, 2008
  5. niem102

zelta

I have this exact problem. Please someone, bring some insight (i.e solution) to this problem!

zelta, Nov 12, 2008
  6. niem102

r0underss

yeah i have the same problem which i posted a few days ago, my noise is getting loud like its gonna break down, each time i shut down and wait for like 5-6hrs then it gets better but the noise comes back, i only think theres 1 solution and that is, this computer is small and compact it only can hold up so much like if its 3hr battery time then thats how much we should use it or else its gonna over heat the hard drive or Motherboard then our computer is gonna break down, so thats what i recommend cause the past i've had my mistake so maybe you guys could learn from mine before its too late! and the Sound Delays are probally from Slower Internet Connections, i have 2 cable modems 1 slower 1 faster and i seen the results, the slower one obviously has weird sound delys

r0underss, Nov 12, 2008
  7. niem102

zelta

I defragmented my drive (although it said there is no need).
    That helped for a while. I could listen to music without delays for a total period of few hours (did start & close a few times)

Then the problem reoccured.

This is really annoying.
    As someone already said, Ubuntu does not have this sound problem.

Please, someone with the adequate expertise, could you please help us.

I can't believe that a computer with this much memory (although not the fastest) should be able to play simple audio files!!

zelta, Nov 20, 2008
  8. niem102

Spidey

I have this problem as well 1st thought it to maybe be something to do with overheating but if the one guy says it doesnt happen on unbuntu then idk... I wonder if it happens to every one with windows or not. Im thinking about reinstalling windows using my windows.

Spidey, Nov 21, 2008
  9. niem102

nmesisca

I hope you're joking but im afraid you are not :?

anyways..

had the same issue, only way I could solve this was to uninstall and reinstall the realtek drivers that Acer has for the AAO. I think their ver is 5628 or something like that.
    With the latest 2.08 from Realtek there is no way I can use the internal mic, and the sound is crackling a lot.

nmesisca, Nov 21, 2008
  10. niem102

eos

I too have been having this problem for a couple of weeks and have been watching this thread hoping someone else would find the solution. I have updated the realtek drivers to the latest from their website, no help, so I guess I'll go back to the one available on Acer's web site. I've insured I have all of the latest Windows updates. I've updated the BIOS. Nothing has helped. Who's going to blink first and actually call Acer support? I'm afraid they'll just have me box up my One and send it back.

eos, Nov 21, 2008
  11. niem102

r0underss

lol i'm not joking, i've paid for a computer for 500$ a laptop and thats what really happend, the best solution is to shut down your computer whenever possible, cause its a small compact laptop, it obviously can't hold up like a Desktop Computer, my noise is still loud but for best results shut down for a few days and try again :D

r0underss, Nov 22, 2008
  12. niem102

nmesisca

believe me your laptop can 'hold up' to the desktop anytime of the day, whatever 'holding up' means to you..
    your laptop has most likely a defect, and probably needs some assistance.
    any laptop should be able to withstand a night (or two or three..) fully on without producing any more noise then the 1st hour of use. if it doesnt, it has a problem.
    happens to desktops, happens to laptops, happens to netbooks.
    if you're still not convinced go around and ask a bunch of people how many of them keep their laptops off for a few hours to avoid the fan going ballistic on them.

nmesisca, Nov 24, 2008
  13. niem102

niem102

I really don't think the problem is with leaving the laptop on for too long. I've left mine off for over a day and had the problem immediately after turning it back on.
    I also don't think it's the internet connection because I had some problems playing music files that had worked fine previously, and I have a decent enough internet connection. It did seem to work fine with a video chat last night though. I'm beginning to think the problem has something to do with using too much memory, but that is pretty frustrating considering it won't even play a music file without any other programs running.

niem102, Nov 24, 2008
  14. niem102

prikolchik

I would suggest turning off Indexing for the partitions on your harddrive. At least that fixed this issue for me on Ubuntu.
    To do so right click on your hdd in My Computer, click Properties and on the very bottom uncheck "Allow Indexing Service....". Click OK. (do this for every Disk you have on this HDD)

Also i suggest using option "Prevent HDD clicking" with this program: http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

If all of the above won't help I would install custom Windows XP, from a CD, not from factory restore.

prikolchik, Nov 25, 2008
  15. niem102

niem102

I tried turning off the indexing and that helped a lot, but there was still a little bit of it every once in a while. I then installed that program, prevented HDD clicking, and defragmented the HDD. This made it even better, so that the noises are rarely there and hardly noticable. It is good enough for now, but hearing some occasional noise worries me that it will just come back. Does anyone know of any permanent solution to the problem? At this point Linux or a custom XP install sound like the only things that work, and I would prefer not to go through that much just to get the sound to work if I can help it, though I would like to install Ubuntu at some point anyways.

niem102, Nov 26, 2008
  16. niem102

r0underss

well its what i've been threw and i did leave it on for exactly 3 days straight and i heard a buzzing sound coming from the laptop and then it froze and i had to remove the battery, i tried turning it back on it doesn't even load to BIOS and i brought it to the repair outside they told me the same problem is that i have left the computer on for to long cause the other computer i had was almost as same as acer but bigger abit, and the motherboard got fried for leaving it on for to long.. thats my experience..

r0underss, Nov 26, 2008
  17. niem102

prikolchik

Leaving computers for too long???? Wtf are you please talking about?

I had my Acer Aspire 5570 on for more than 20 days in WinXP and nothing happened... I now own Dell E1705 and that also has no problems.
    I also did a quick test to my Aspire One and it works wonderful after 3 days turned on in custom WinXP.

I think you may have some kind of problem with standby/hibernate settings. Try to disable them and see if that will make any difference. Your desktop/laptop/netbook/PDA must work well no matter for how long you leave it on (well, im not mentioning WinXP bogging down, etc. Just the hardware).

prikolchik, Nov 27, 2008
  18. niem102

niem102

Alright I'm pretty certain that this is not from leaving the computer on for too long or from the speakers going bad randomly or any other kind of hardware problem. I got a dual boot going with XP and Ubuntu now, and the sound works fine with Ubuntu. If anyone does come up with any kind of permanent fix for the sound with XP it would still be greatly appreciated! But for now the solution seems to be keeping the hard drive clean, defragmenting it on a regular basis, and not running too many other programs while you need sound...not such a great solution if you ask me...

niem102, Nov 30, 2008
  19. niem102

ivo.apostolov

I just sent an official request to Acer via their contact form, hopefully they will reply.
    The problem seems to be related with the SP3 of Windows.

ivo.apostolov, Dec 3, 2008
  20. niem102

BazookaAce

I'm having the same problem. The crackling noise showed up two days ago. Without warning. I installed Ubuntu yesterday, and the noise is even worse now! Hope we get some answers from Acer soon.

BazookaAce, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question