Webcam not working anymore

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ashpire, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ashpire

ashpire

Hi

I have a problem, my webcam is not working anymore. The whole system just hangs when I try to use it in any program. The last thing I did was that I installed drivers for my DVB-T digital-tv-stick and installed the kernel-headers using this guide: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=608 but it shouldn't affect the webcam in any way..

So does anyone know how to get the webcam working again?

I'm using Linpus Linux on my A110.

ashpire, Jan 1, 2009
  2. ashpire

ashpire

And I can't even use skype, the whole system hangs when I start skype, it probably tries to access the webcam..Can somebody help me?

ashpire, Jan 2, 2009
  3. ashpire

ashpire

I think the problem is that uvcvideo can't start now...

I think the solution is here, but I'm not so good at german so I'm not sure what to do:
    http://www.freiesmagazin.de/mobil/freiesMagazin-2008-08-bilder.html#08_08_webcam

I think uvcvideo has to be recompiled and installed, and "Module.symvers" from vl4 should be copied to the uvcvideo folder before recompilation of the module, or something?

If someone could translate and/or tell me what I should do I would be really happy! :)

ashpire, Jan 28, 2009
  4. ashpire

dr_skids

Hello Ashpire,
    I posted that my webcam is not working - I too associate this with the installation of v4l modules to recognise the Hauppauge USB DVB-T stick. Fortunately I have not used the AAO a lot so I have just "restored" it to Out-Of-Box condition and I will progressively add in the bits that I want.

What I think has happened is that the Acer compiled Linpus modules can recognise the webcam (lsusb: 0c45:62c0 Acer Crystal Eye Webcam) but I think the latest v4l source does not have the matching ID. I will look at this later as I do want to run the DVB-T on my AAO.
    The symptom is similar to before I install v4l and what happened when I plug in the DVB-T stick.

Sorry this is not much help, thanks for your link (I can understand about 70% so far) but I do not trust my German to translate it for you. BTW I recovered to OOB condition and the webcam now works with (acer supplied) skype as well. I hope to understand what to change in the v4l before I instal it so that both webcam and DVB stick work. The v4l build appears to replace the uvcvideo.ko module thus "losing" the aspire webcam.

I hope I can post some DVB-T "howto" when I get it working. Or at least add to Joans post on a different thread (from Sideways).

Cheers,
    Dr. Skids

dr_skids, Jan 29, 2009
  5. ashpire

ashpire

Okay, if you find a solution please let me know, a howto would be really much appriciated! :)

ashpire, Feb 6, 2009
  6. ashpire

egesia

I fixed the webcam after upgrading v4l:

replace the uvcvideo.ko module in:
    lib/modules/2.6.23lw/usb/media
    with the newer version in:
    lib/modules/2.6.23lw/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc

egesia, Feb 26, 2009
  7. ashpire

ashpire

I tried that, but I can't get it to work.. Could you please tell me step-by-step how you did?

ashpire, May 4, 2009
  8. ashpire

ashpire

Could someone describe a little more detailed how this should be done?

ashpire, May 23, 2009
Ask a Question