Webcam in Ubuntu 8.10: Cheese

Discussion in 'Linux' started by arthurinparis, Dec 13, 2008.

1. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Hey guys,

I have just put a whole new installation of Ubuntu 8.10 on my AAO and everything worked except for Webcam.

I've downloaded Cheese to try it out and saw a brown blank screen, with no view of myself...I decided then to add Camorama and everytime I launch it, I have to following error message:
    Could not connect to video device (dev/video0), check your connection

From what I know it's gotta be a driver problem, but I have no clue how to solve it.

A little help would be greatly appreciated, as I skimmed through the forum without finding any hints on how to solve this,

Cheers,

Arthur

arthurinparis, Dec 13, 2008
  2. arthurinparis

riot

Not sure about the camorama thing but did you do the whole Option "Clone" "true" in xorg.conf from the wiki?

riot, Dec 14, 2008
  3. arthurinparis

chris.h

I'm having the same problem here. I can get an image to show up in luvcview but not cheese for some reason?

chris.h, Dec 14, 2008
  4. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Exacty the same thing. Lucview works but no Cheese, nor the cam booth...

arthurinparis, Dec 14, 2008
  5. arthurinparis

aspirational

I found this suggestion somewhere, probably on this forum I can't remember. I am using it with ubuntu 8.10 and have a decent picture and recordable sound from in-built mic, woo-hoo! Anyway here is a link http://guvcview.berlios.de/ but it is also in synaptic under GUVCview. I am still a noob at linux and have been playing around a lot with stuff, so if it doesn't work for you I won't be of much help in getting it working. It does work for me though and with skype too.

aspirational, Dec 16, 2008
  6. arthurinparis

lontano

On Intrepid the webcam works out of the box using VLC

lontano, Dec 19, 2008
Ask a Question