web browsing problems

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Oliver, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Oliver

Oliver

when browsing the web from my own router sometimes sites just do not load even though the connection is fine.
    so i usually disconnect and reconnect the connection. but then it happens again.
    but even when it doesnt work it still says its connected.
    im running windows xp with ALL drivers installed.

Oliver, Aug 30, 2008
  2. Oliver

goofball

wired or wireless connection?
    if wireless, go to the properties for the Atheros wireless card in Device Manager, and change the Power Saving option to Normal.

goofball, Aug 30, 2008
  3. Oliver

Oliver

wireless. wow. thanks for the solution. will update this post if i see improvement

Oliver, Aug 30, 2008
  4. Oliver

Oliver

this has not helped. webpages like google still coming up with 'firefox cant find the server at google.co.uk'

Oliver, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Oliver

Oliver

it seems to work when it connects for a VERY small ammount of time. less than a minute.
    i can see it sats 238 packets sent. 40 packets recieved.
    but now neither of those numbers move even though it says i am still connected to the router...

Oliver, Aug 30, 2008
  6. Oliver

goofball

connect wired to remove the possibility of the router itself being a problem.
    if no problems with wired, then try using a different channel on the router for wireless.
    If left on default channel, it's possible there is plenty of interference from other devices

goofball, Aug 30, 2008
  7. Oliver

Oliver

its definitly not the router because another member of the household hasnt ever had a problem...
    i will try wired.

Oh, and my orange wifi light is not flashing it is just permanently on.

EDIT: wired connection works PERFECTLY

Oliver, Aug 30, 2008
  8. Oliver

goofball

change the channel on the router. Some channels are better than other's.

goofball, Aug 30, 2008
  9. Oliver

Oliver

still not loading websites...

Oliver, Aug 31, 2008
  10. Oliver

karona

I had the same problem after installing FF3, thought I had broken something, ran full restore, same problem with original FF2, reinstalled FF3, no better. Rebooted wireless router, worked perfectly.

Try rebooting your router, nothing to lose.

Keith

karona, Sep 1, 2008
  11. Oliver

Oliver

still happening... keep having to constantly rejoin my network ever 30 seconds to keep pages loading

Oliver, Sep 3, 2008
  12. Oliver

hiddenhonger

Oliver, I glad (well not really) that someone else is having the exact same as I am.
    I can confirm our routers are not to blame, as I've connected to my home and school wireless networks successfully, and yet after 10 minutes (Still connected), the web browsing (on both IE and Firefox) will cease to work. Only a reboot will fix the problem temporarily and after another 10 minutes, the problem will occur again.

Any site I try to reach will show 'Network timed out" or something similar. Again, I'll still be connected to the network (even with an excellent signal), and my MSN messenger will also be connected and fully functional, just that web browsing will stop working.

It's as if theres an internal timer with switches off web browsing after a certain time regardless of activity once the machine boots up (it sounds absurd, but it really seems like thats what's happening)

This is on a WinXP 1GB, 120HDD machine with the updated BIOS (3304?) and current Atheros driver.
    Additional notes: This begun about a week or so ago, and as a result I've updated the BIOS and driver separately to see if the problem would go away, but it hasn't.

hiddenhonger, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question