Warning : don't install Patch 180084 if you want to use gcc

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fritzm, Jun 15, 2009.

1. fritzm

fritzm

Several people, myself included have recently been reporting that when they want to install gcc, yum gives an error message stating that glibc-common 2.7.2 is required but 2.9.2 is installed. Since the base Linpus system is FC8, which uses all 2.7.2 for glibc and glibc-common, and the 2.9.2 series are FC10, I suspected that a recent update must have overwritten some of the original files.

I have traced this to Patch 180084, which overwrites a number of files with FC10 versions. So be warned, if you want to ever use gcc, then do not install this patch. I suspect that mixing library files like this will sooner or later lead to other problems and will be a bad thing, so my advice is on principal don't install this patch. Note that you can force LiveUpdate to make all patches optional by following Macles' instructions http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/optional-updates-on-acer-aspire-one.html. If you have already installed 180084, there doesn't seem to be a way of uninstalling it unfortunately - I had to do a system restore and then reinstall all my updates and mods.

fritzm, Jun 15, 2009
Ask a Question