want to clone xp hdd onto a0722-0473

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a dell desktop hdd running xp sp3 and I want to clone the drive to use on my new acer a0722-0473 which currently runs windows 7 home.

is this possible? What problems might I run into?

Guest, Oct 30, 2011
  2. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

You'll get nothing but BSOD's when attempting to boot the XP installation because it won't recognise the appropriate HDD controller. Which will require you to run a repair installation of Windows XP anyway.

Secondly your Dell will more than likely have none of the drivers required to make your AAO fully functional.

Lastly, it's illegal. Windows XP will detect a major hardware change and require you to re-activate. Because it's already been activated once on the Dell you're probably not going to have much luck.

Swarvey, Oct 30, 2011
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Swarvey for that very thorough reply. I'm guessing that maybe just transferring my files will be good enough and then just to get used to windows 7. Pity since I really was used to xp.

Guest, Oct 31, 2011
  4. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

If you can find a spare XP license lying around, or maybe one a friend or family member no longer uses, or if you can find a shop still selling WinXP, you might be able to run a fresh install from the CD (make sure you create backup DVD's from within Win7 first) and use a completely clean install of XP.

Then use the files and settings transfer wizard to get all your documents accross.

Alternatively, if you can get a hold of a new license, you can still clone the drive, however you will have to run a repair-install to enable you to at least boot the cloned installation, which will then allow you to install the appropriate drivers. Have a spare USB flash drive handy as you'll need to download the WiFi drivers from your PC, transfer them to the AAO and install them. Then the rest can be done on the netbook.

Swarvey, Oct 31, 2011
Ask a Question