VPN Connection to University

Discussion in 'Linux' started by iv76erson03, Mar 27, 2009.

1. iv76erson03

iv76erson03

the ubuntu forums are too clogged with people asking and no one answering. :evil:

I went through a lengthy discussion with some very helpful people on getting linpus connected to my VPN here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6022

I really want to use the built in VPN client in ubuntu but i'm having a heck of a time with it. should i just try to connect the same way i did with linpus (sudo vpnc) or is there hope for the ubuntu vpn client?

Edit: Using Devlin's link, i was able to connect successfully. However, since this is the wife's computer, i would like to make it automatic if possible.

iv76erson03, Mar 27, 2009
  2. iv76erson03

dasy2k1

install vpnc from the repo,

then you can connect with a gui, right click the network manager then edit connections.... the vpn tab is what you need. i have it working perfectly for manchester uni's vpn.
    (you need the unencrypted group password but that isnt hard to find if you have the encrypted one)

dasy2k1, Mar 31, 2009
  3. iv76erson03

samguyjones

I usually use NetworkManager and NetworkManager's VPN settings to connect to the PPTP VPN at my work. It's very smooth.

samguyjones, Mar 31, 2009
  4. iv76erson03

iv76erson03

This is really weird. All of a sudden my ubuntu install quit connecting to the vpn using vpnc. the settings are identical to my linpus install.

When trying to connect, i get a message in terminal "vpnc: unknown host 'vpn1.ess.niu.edu'"

Why would be be unknown? my linpus can connect to it.

I went back in my logs and about the time i think it quit working, there was a message that says removing resolv.conf from /sbin/resolveconf. don't know if this helps or not.

iv76erson03, Apr 2, 2009
Ask a Question