VLC installed, but no video only audio!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mortis, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mortis

mortis

Well ive managed to install vlc finally, had trouble with missing files and i solved that thanx to the posts on this forum. But now im having another problem, i dont get any video when i run files! i only get the audio. any help would be appreciated.

mortis, Sep 28, 2008
  2. mortis

Jimster

I'm having a similar problem with VLC - just a blank video window with the audio playing. Normally I'd think there was a problem with the video codec but this happens with avi and mpeg files and if you resize the video window you can sometimes see video playing (is this the same as you Mortis?) If I play around with the window long enough I can sometimes get the video working full screen albeit with a little bit of pixel garbage where black bands would normally be.

Is this an issue anyone else has had or any idea what the problem could be?

512Mb RAM, 120Gb HD, desktop switch used, but nothing of any concern tweaked subsequently... As a linux newbie I'm scared stiff of playing with settings in case I break something ;)

Jimster, Sep 29, 2008
  3. mortis

mortis

man im not even getting a video window at all!! all i get is the player, and the sound.

mortis, Sep 29, 2008
  4. mortis

COOOL_JO

up :roll:

COOOL_JO, Nov 16, 2008
  5. mortis

Grim Squeaker

Where did you install VLC from ? The Acer website or the repositories ?

Option 1 adds an icon to the desktop - but by default does not install many essential codecs.
    Option 2 does not add an icon to the desktop - but installs about all codecs.

So if option 1, the behaviour is normal.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 16, 2008
  6. mortis

flyingalan

Same problem, audio but no video for AVI files in both supplied player and VLC. Have tried both Acer and repository. Get an error message during a repository install at the end that a file is not available, but don't know what to do about it. Suspect its a codec file.
    Amazing that Acer One comes without common codecs for at least AVI files, even Bill G would be ashamed at the poor operation of this media player as supplied.
    Really frustrating for us converts from MS, everything seems awkward to do in Linux when you are not familiar and needs knowledge of terminal commands to do almost anything.
    So far only success has been getting Skype running, and on the Acer One menu.
    Thought I was beginning to understand a little bit, but this VLC problem is driving me crazy.
    One web site says One Linux is based on Fedora 7, another tells me to use VLC for Fedora 8, totally confused, surely Acer are big enough to at least provide basic functionality for common media formats in the media player.
    Obviously others have it working with no problem, any clues welcome !!!!!
    Thanks

flyingalan, Nov 18, 2008
  7. mortis

markh

There are a number of ways to get VLC, and I don't know which is the "best" way, but try this post from macles: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/10/new- ... e-one.html and read a comment dated Nov 1 about how to hack the Acer download to get the codecs installed. If that doesn't float your boat, there are several threads with instructions on using yum, website download etc available through search.

markh, Nov 18, 2008
  8. mortis

Grim Squeaker

Windows media player by default does not come with many codecs either - hence the popularity of third party codec packs.
    Acer has opted to not include all patented ones.

This link may also be of help:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5555

Summary: disable the compositing feature in VLC.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 18, 2008
Ask a Question