Vista shared folders from Dolphin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Edge, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Edge

Edge

Hey

I need help connecting to Vista shared folders from Linpus. I have Dolphin installed to access windows shared folders and this works perfectly for any XP machine, but when I try to get onto Vista folders, I always get asked for authentication and it can't get on even with valid credentials.

From searching around, it seems that vista uses ancient authorisation protocols and Samba can't communicate with these.

Supposedly updating Samba will fix this issue, but I have only used linux for a week and do not know how to do this or if it would be safe on the acer Linpus. If someone could please help me with how to do that safely will be much appreciated.

From another angle, is there another application I can use? Or some other workaround for this authentication issue?

Edge, Jan 7, 2009
  2. Edge

maztor

Im using Dolphin to connect to my vista shares whitout any problems. Just installed dolphin and everything worked. Dont have any password or anyting like that tho.

maztor, Jan 8, 2009
  3. Edge

Noodle1975

It could be a few things. Another program is smb4k - you can look for it on right-click, system, add remove software, search. Try that one, but you must open a terminal and type su, then your password before each time you run it. Coz of that I really I think Dolphin is the best.

Maybe vista firewall is blocking something? I guess you can you see the Vista shares with Dolphin, why not try when all the clients are running, recreating your home network in vista -> recreate mshome whatever -> restart.

If you know your acer's ipaddress try pinging it from your vista machine -> in windows, start -> run -> cmd gives dos prompt: ping ip address e.g. ping 192.168.1.4 etc. If you get replies then you know you can connect at some level so it's just something in windows which is preventing it...I doubt you should need to enter any authentication it should just access the folders.

I definitely remember having a problem years ago with zonealarm firewall preventing me from accessing one pc from another on home network - had to set up specific ip address exceptions...stupid

Noodle1975, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question