virtual box,or kvm, posible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by encaputxat, Oct 31, 2008.

1. encaputxat

encaputxat

It's possible to install kvm, or other emulator? The atom can support? the linpus version have the virtual box, but in ubuntu i don't found anything. And if possible whats the best emulator in terms like speed?

thx, greetings

encaputxat, Oct 31, 2008
  2. encaputxat

frosterrj

I'm running VB on Ubuntu Intrepid with TinyXP on the 8gb SSD 512mb version.. The VM is quite speedy.

frosterrj, Oct 31, 2008
  3. encaputxat

bugmenot2

Yes you can run them, but it will be fairly slow as the CPU (Intel Atom N270) does not support Intel Virtualization Technology which provides great benefits for virtualization.

bugmenot2, Nov 2, 2008
  4. encaputxat

scottro

I have VBox running on the 160 gig version. Linux host, Win2k guest. It's adequate. I only use it because on occasion, I need a Timbuktu client, so once it is booted up, it's really more a matter of network speed than anything else.

scottro, Nov 2, 2008
  5. encaputxat

spinnekopje

I just installed VirtualBox 2.0 yesterday...
    You can find a repository on their website (and how to add it)
    then just do in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.0
    I use madwifi for my wireless now, so go to the madwifi folder and do
    Code:
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    This is because installing Virtualbox breaks your wifi
    Normally that should work, at least I didn't use other commands to get my wifi back.

spinnekopje, Nov 2, 2008
  6. encaputxat

galliganer

I have installed VirtualBox in my 8Gb SSD and the XP virtual disk in an 8Gb SD card in the reight cardreader.
    Goes fine.

galliganer, Nov 2, 2008
  7. encaputxat

dr3as

I installed Virtualbox OSE on my 8GB, and set up xp with nlite on a 2GB sdcard, works nice for small applications and testing :D

dr3as, Nov 2, 2008
  8. encaputxat

encaputxat

thanx a lot, this night i will try

encaputxat, Nov 3, 2008
  9. encaputxat

webplus

Hi, will only the OSE version of VirtualBox run on the AAO (SSD Linux version), or if you can download and use a non-OSE version, which download should it be from virtualbox.org? Fedora 8 ("Werewolf") i386 or All distributions i386? Thanks...

webplus, Nov 3, 2008
  10. encaputxat

bob535

I just installed TinyXP withing VirtualBox on Ubuntu, I was able to chose a variety of resolutions (but not 1280x600) before I installed guest additions, and now that I have installed guest additions I only get 640x480 w/ 8bit colour. How did you guys get the resolution problem fixed?

bob535, Nov 8, 2008
  11. encaputxat

blackest_knight

i use virtualbox from suns website used gdebi to install it.
    ctrl g resizes guest to host ctrl f full screen (right Ctrl for me )
    it sometimes takes a couple of goes before its the right resolution and depth you might need to wait a little while for the Os to start up properly I use a 4gb image on left card slot with windows 2000 no issues here and USB works

Ctrl L is another useful shortcut lets windows apps open on your desktop sharing your linuxdesktop is quite handy (set as shared folder)

blackest_knight, Nov 13, 2008
  12. encaputxat

jhedrotten

I installed VirtualBox via macles[http://macles.blogspot.com/]' excellent instructions and everything is working fine. I manged to install TinyXP Bare rev09 on a 4GB class6 SDHC card and everything works fine.

jhedrotten, Nov 23, 2008
  13. encaputxat

snofire

Hey all,

I have been having a bunch of problems with virtualbox for XP on my AAO. I've tried running virtual machines of Ubuntu, Nexenta, and Puppy linux, and none of them run properly. Ubuntu ran really slowly - neither 256 nor 512mb of ram made it usable. Nexenta took 3(!) minutes to boot, and X and the package manager were broken ootb. Finally, even Puppy linux hung and wouldn't boot.
    I could understand a problem in any one of them, and I know that the AAO isn't going to run virtual machines at a blistering pace. But the fact that three different OS's wouldn't work seems (at least to me) to indicate a larger problem.

snofire, Nov 25, 2008
  14. encaputxat

jhedrotten

well my aspire one that runs on linpus handles my tinyxp bare virtual machine at a close to blistering pace. i only gave it 256mb of RAM and i am more than satisfied with it.

that's pretty weird, for puppy linux is supposed to be extremely lightweight [in fact much lighter than tinyxp bare].

where is the virtual hd stored and could you please tell us your configuration?

jhedrotten, Nov 25, 2008
  15. encaputxat

snofire

I was surprised that puppy didn't work as well. The virtual hard disk was just in my documents on my local hard drive. I really don't know what the problem could be. I'm going to try reinstalling virtualbox.

snofire, Nov 25, 2008
  16. encaputxat

jhedrotten

yeah, try reinstalling it hen. that's weird if you are using HDD, it's supposed to be fast no matter what, as compared to the sluggish SSD that I am using.

jhedrotten, Nov 26, 2008
  17. encaputxat

snofire

I have the hdd AAO. Reinstalling virtualbox didn't fix anything. I removed it and then installed vmware player, which runs fine. *shrugs*

snofire, Nov 26, 2008
  18. encaputxat

jhedrotten

whoa, that's weird.

jhedrotten, Nov 27, 2008
  19. encaputxat

snofire

*further update*

I reinstalled virtualbox and ran it on my administrator account (I was using a limited-permissions account previously). Works like a charm. Even though it wasn't giving me any error messages in the user account, it clearly was unable to access something it needed.

snofire, Dec 5, 2008
  20. encaputxat

spinnekopje

Just an idea, did you add yourself to the vbox user group?

spinnekopje, Dec 7, 2008
Ask a Question