using yum after last live update???

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Not sure if this is something that the latest Live Update messed with, or something else I've done, but here is my issue:

I just did a system recovery on my system. Before this I had not done the latest live update and I was able to use yum to update some of the Fedora 8 packages that I needed updating. Like updating cups to the latest Fedora 8 version so that I could use AppSocket/JetAdmin printing. With the stock cups on the AA1 the only options are IPP and SAMBA for network printing. Well after I did the system recovery and applied all the latest updates using Live Update, I'm no longer able to update most of the Fedora 8 packages using yum. Before this latest reinstall of my system, I could do:

sudo yum list updates

and a huge list of all the available Fedora 8 updates would be listed. Now if I do it, there are only about ten updates listed.

I'm able to manually download the updated packages I need and install them using rpm but I'd like to be able to use yum again for this.

Does anyone else notice this after the last big Live Update? Did Acer fix something so that if you do a "Software Updater" it does not hose your system now? Or have a messed something else up. Anyone know how to get yum to use the fedora 8 update repositories again?

VVarwick

Guest, Sep 13, 2008
  2. Guest

annafil

OK I may have experienced something similar, or I may have not. The timing seems a bit too coincidental...

First of all, I use Smart, and not yum (it's a different front end for the base line rpm commands). That started crashing with strange errors.

So I fell back to Yum, which started telling me I had dependencies missing (and not installable) even though I knew I had them already.

I tried installing using rpm commands directly, and got similar issues, which led me to what fixed it in my case - reloading all the databases and cache for rpm, yum and (in my case) smart.

It could be a corrupted list of existing and available files as well. But before I tell you how to go about removing these (a bit tricky), let's see if our symptoms match

annafil, Sep 13, 2008
  3. Guest

scottro

Please try

yum update fedora-release

That should fix it.

There were issues, as you may know, with some of the Fedora and RedHat servers.

I don't really know the connection with the Linpus live update, but I do know that some Fedora users had to do that--after awhile, the Fedora repos were fixed so that it was automatic, but prior to the fixing, that was necessary.

I believe you'll also be asked to import a key--say yes, it's alright.
    After that, you should be able to update cups through yum.

scottro, Sep 13, 2008
  4. Guest

yatfu

yatfu, Sep 13, 2008
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the link. I think I had screwed something else up when I tried to fix the issue on my own because:

sudo yum update fedora-release

did not work for me. It said "no updates found." I had to delete all the files out of the "/etc/yum.repos.d" folder and then follow the instructions in your link. That fixed my issue!

Guest, Sep 15, 2008
  6. Guest

jhedrotten

okay thanks for this, but do i run live update first before signing new keys to fedora, or do i sign keys first?

i just went to the fedora link and they got a bunch of instructions there and i got confused.
    i'm actually talking about a newly recovered aa1, so do i update/sign the fedora keys first or live update and then that? thanks i advance. i just want to avoid problems.

jhedrotten, Sep 16, 2008
  7. Guest

jhedrotten

and im also confused if i need to follow the [*vast*] instructions at the fedora site or do i just need to do this one liner here? does this line signs the fedora keys automatically and no need to do manual?
    thanks a lot.

jhedrotten, Sep 16, 2008
  8. Guest

BlackLagoon

You should generally do the Live Update first. Live Update is Acer's thing and works independently from Yum. Yum and the package manager are more of an "unofficial hack" to make the Aspire One do more than it was originally intended to.

The Fedora site has instructions for what to do if the yum method fails. It doesn't mention yum update fedora-release itself because in "real" Fedora, this would happen automatically. But we're using Linpus Lite, where the Fedora system update function has been disabled (since some of the generic Fedora updates can mess up Acer's customizations to the system), so we have to trigger the yum updates ourselves.

BlackLagoon, Sep 16, 2008
  9. Guest

annafil

BlackLagoon: nicely put!

annafil, Sep 16, 2008
  10. Guest

jhedrotten

thanks a lot, nothing can be more helpful than this info. so i do live update first and then yum update fedora-release. last question i have in mind, will [triggering the fedora updates] it 'cause us some problems in the future [Acer]LiveUpdate or not? i mean will it mess up acer's customizations and will i end up recovering my aa1 again during the future Live Update by acer?

jhedrotten, Sep 18, 2008
  11. Guest

annafil

the short answer is yes. There are a lot of customized packages by acer and linpus, if you don't lock them down using a yum plugin, you can end up removing half your system.

Using yum to update is not therefore recommended, unless you know exactly what you are doing :) The general consensus is that it's better to update packages on a case by case basis.

annafil, Sep 18, 2008
  12. Guest

jhedrotten

omg. now im very confused. so there's no way for me for to update the signing keys and still be okay with the next live update? omg. T_T how about the 'troubleshooting'[ http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... leShooting ] section in jorge's site, will that help me have VLC and liveupdate both usable? thanks a lot, you know, i hate recovering now then that's why im avoiding mods as much as i can because all i want is full functionality and compatibility.

jhedrotten, Sep 18, 2008
  13. Guest

annafil

sorry my fault I thought you meant updating the entire system.

yes it's ok and in fact necessary to update the fedora-release thing to get yum working again. but it's not adviseable to use it to do full system upgrades (ie running "sudo yum upgrade")

annafil, Sep 18, 2008
  14. Guest

jhedrotten

okay miss anna so i do live update now, and then sudo yum fedora-release and then im good to go. i can install vlc with no problems and i can also run live update in the future without any complications, is that correct. thanks a lot. you're a lot of help, my aa1 is still newly recovered and im actually depending on the answers that i have here to make any moves. hehehe.

jhedrotten, Sep 18, 2008
  15. Guest

annafil

that's correct :)

if you worry about recovery a lot, check out the how-to section for my easy backup thread. saved me a lot of headache because I break stuff all the time :)

annafil, Sep 18, 2008
  16. Guest

jhedrotten

whoa that was sooo helpful. thanks a lot. i just saw it and it was awesome. thanks a lot for making such a comprehensive 'how-to'. i'll follow those steps but i'll still keep my modifications to a minimum. hahaha.

jhedrotten, Sep 18, 2008
  17. Guest

nugroho2

Sorry, I am new to linux.

How do you install live updates if you already downloaded the files (*.SH files) from Acer site.
    I have slow connection and I have downloaded the files from another computer in other place.

Thanks

nugroho2, Oct 11, 2008
  18. Guest

JoaoRodrigues

I've bought two Aspire Ones in the past weeks. I've installed Skype on them from the Skype .rpm for Fedora 8. I've also used the Packge Manager to update the system, as well as the Live Update feature.

I must admit that I assumed that the Live Update program would use the same package management framework as the package manager. Kind of like what happens in Ubuntu (and other Debian variants possibly) with Synaptic, update-manager and "Add/remove programs": each is just a different frontend to the apt infrastructure. That would make sense. Are you saying it is not this way?

I was starting to believe it wasn't after finding the Acer update site filled with those auto-install .sh scripts. I began to wonder: what the heck are they doing? Why would someone having a perfectly capable and proven package management system bypass it completely to use opaque, monolhitic packages?

OK, I thought, maybe these scripts are just packing all the needed (dependent) RPMs and a couple of rpm install comands or whatever, just to ease installation especially when you are offline. That would be acceptable and make some sense.

To find out, I just downloaded skype.sh.zip from the Acer Aspire One support site and started investigating. I'll leave the details out, but after a bit of what feels like opening Matryoshka dolls, this is what I found inside:
    Code:
    -rw-r--r-- linpus/linpus 14893121 2008-09-16 04:37:57 ./skype-2.0.0.72-fc5.i586.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- linpus/linpus     3765 2008-09-23 05:18:32 ./skype.sh.xml
    -rwxr-xr-x linpus/linpus     1093 2008-09-25 09:01:09 ./install.sh
    -rw-r--r-- linpus/linpus  2124278 2008-09-16 05:02:21 ./qt4-4.3.2-1.lp.i386.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- linpus/linpus  6249617 2008-09-16 05:02:21 ./qt4-x11-4.3.2-1.lp.i386.rpm
    -rwxr-xr-x linpus/linpus      113 2008-09-19 12:41:59 ./uninstall.sh
    -rw-r--r-- linpus/linpus  1241702 2008-09-22 05:21:24 ./xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched.i386.rpm
    -rw-rw-r-- linpus/linpus  1472015 2008-09-25 12:02:51 ./xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched.tim.i386.rpm

So it seems that they're using RPMs after all... OK, I'm feeling relieved. They're not reinventing the wheel all over again. Of course there's those install/uninstall scripts which I haven't looked at yet, but I guess I'd find those yum or rpm install comands inside... I guess the Acer LiveUpdate system might be just a wrapper around the yum/rpm infrastructure. That's much nicer. Maybe it could be better integrated, though.

Please note that this is NOT a solution to any problem you may have with Live Update versus yum or whatever. It is just the result of a little investigation to try and understand how Acer/Linpus updates are related to the RPM infrastructure. I hope someone might go further and write a nice wiki/blog page somewhere with some clear conclusions for the rest of us.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I was somewhat bewildered by the situation initially, but after some rational thought it turns out it is not as bad as it seemed before. Sticking with the Acer updates mechanism seems to be the safer way to go, but with some care, using the package manager should work fine.

João Rodrigues

JoaoRodrigues, Oct 31, 2008
  19. Guest

nugroho2

This is the answer to my own question on SH files.
    To run sh files, write: sudo sh <filename.sh> in terminal. I down loaded the sh files from Acer site, and save that. In the event of a crash in my AA1, I would just run the sh, and not downloading everything again.

But better still, backup your AA1.

nugroho2, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question