Using another laptop to install XP for AOD150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by toothpehs, Feb 28, 2010.

1. toothpehs

toothpehs

Hello everyone, just a quick question.
    I'm having alot of trouble installing Windows XP Home on my AOD150 via USB, almost everything I tried from the guides didn't work...
    So I'm wondering, can I remove the HDD from my Dell M1730, pop in my AOD150 HDD and my Windows XP Home CD (on my Dell M1730), and run the XP installation on my Dell.
    When its all done (vanilla with no windows update and no drivers), pop my AOD150 HDD back in my Acer, and continue to enjoy my little netbook? Without messing up my Dell of course.
    Reason being, I upgraded my 160gig AOD150 HDD for a new seagate 500gig HDD, and it's impossible to carry the M1730 to school without breaking my back.

Thank you.

toothpehs, Feb 28, 2010
  2. toothpehs

Swarvey Moderator

You can try this by all means, and you MIGHT have some success.

The only place where Windows can have a heart attack on this is when it attempts to boot. It'll come down to the pre-installed drivers for your hard drive controller. If they're not the same, XP will have kittens and you'l be stuck in an endless reboot loop.

I'm not sure on the particulars, but I've read about people copying the XP installation files to the hard drive (you'd do this while it's in your other machine), booting the AAO from a USB key, and installing from the cached source on your hard drive.

Swarvey, Feb 28, 2010
  3. toothpehs

toothpehs

Typing this on my newly reformatted AOD150 with Windows XP Home!
    It works, this is what I did:
    1) Switched my M1730 to IDE in bios
    2) Switched my Wireless off
    3) Ran the Windows XP Home installation on the AOD150 HDD in my M1730
    4) Chose not to key in a product key, it says the trail will expire in 30 days or something
    5) Once I booted into the XP Desktop, I shut down my M1730
    6) Took out the AOD150 HDD and replaced with my M1730 HDD
    7) Switched my M1730 back to AHCI in bios (it booted up fine, everything works etc)
    8) Put my AOD150 HDD back in my AOD150
    9) Switched my AOD150 to IDE in bios
    10) On the AOD150 desktop I clicked on the popup on the taskbar and keyed in my Product Key found under my AOD150 (I had to ring up Microsoft though, the man I spoke to said everything looked okay on his side, whatever that means, and told me to reactivate again via Windows Update)
    11) Windows Update installed this genuine program thingy and Microsoft Update, and said my copy of XP Home is activated =)

So then everything works! Hope this help those without an external CD Drive, or students like me with no money but with a trusty and relatively cheap philips screwdriver =(
    Hopefully it'll work for everyone else, thanks to Swarvey for pointing me in the right direction about the Hard Drive Controller, googled and found out that I had to switch to IDE in Bios, I kept getting the BSOD if I remained on AHCI in either my M1730 or AOD150.

Also, I'm gonna try this to enable AHCI, I'll report back when I do, hopefully it work break my AOD150..
    viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12228&p=77495&hilit=chipset+BSOD#p77495

-EDIT-
    Ok I realised that there's this SM Bus Controller in Device Manager, googling it says its the Intel Chipset. Downloaded from the Acer AU Support site, after running the .exe it gives me a BSOD while booting into Windows. Oh wells =(

-EDIT-
    Tried again, this time using nLite to slipstream all the drivers into my iso.
    then mount using this viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4704
    now everything works!

toothpehs, Mar 1, 2010
Ask a Question