Using an SDHC card for OSX instead of USB drive

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by red97vette, Jan 15, 2009.

1. red97vette

red97vette

Is it possible to use an SD card to install OS X on the AA1? I only have a 1gb USB external key drive, but i have a 4 and 8 GB SDHC card. Can I use that, or do i need to buy another larger usb key drive?

thanks,
    red

red97vette, Jan 15, 2009
  2. red97vette

chalz

Unfortunately the Acer Apsire One does not recognize SD cards in either SD card slots as bootable devices, therefore you will not be able to boot the installation file on an SD card from the bios. I remember reading something about a person who was trying to figure out a way around this, but don't remember the details, and they hadn't found a solution yet, as far as I can remember. (I was looking into this option last week, actually)

A workaround for this is to run out to your local computer/electronics store and buy one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Reader-Wri ... 474&sr=8-1

...or something that functions similarly. (aka: Some sort of SD-to-USB adapter.) I can't guarantee that it will work the same as having a USB drive, but I can't see any reason why it would not. Basically it's turning your SD card into a USB drive.

If anyone has success using an SD-to-USB adapter to install any sort of operating system on their AAO, please post up. (Again, I don't see why it wouldn't work...but you never know sometimes) Much luck!

chalz, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question