Using a CD-ROM Drive w/AAO150-1570???

Discussion in 'Windows' started by sirceegee, Jan 26, 2009.

1. sirceegee

sirceegee

I am considering purchasing the above listed AAO, (120GB HDD, 1GB SDRAM etc). I'm thinking of giving it to my 7 year old/going on 10 years old grandson. He's used a Windows PC since age 3. I've read into some of the posts/replies about running games on the computer and I'm wondering how I'm missing the obvious question/answer that I have: Isn't it possible to just run an external AC powered/USB interfaced CD-ROM drive with this machine? If not, (and for some reason, I must be missing something huge here), then why not?

sirceegee, Jan 26, 2009
  2. sirceegee

Ranger Wolf

Your right, most people do use an external dvd or cd drive through a USB connection. Myself, i just hook up a normal DVD burner with an IDE to usb with A/C power from an outlet. Theres always a few ways to install games or programs. since your grandson is a bit young, i don't know if he can image dvd's and cd's onto his hard drive, but thats always another way as well.

As for games, i know any young kids loves his games, so heres a link of most games that work for this Netbook and how well they run. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9_nCgKqvCF0NzPi1oOvVOw

Ranger Wolf, Jan 26, 2009
  3. sirceegee

sirceegee

O.K. TYVM, I did go up on eBay while I was waiting for your response here and I was seeing DVD Burners that were being advertised w/AAO-s. Good evening to ya! C.G.

sirceegee, Jan 26, 2009
  4. sirceegee

sirceegee

Now that I have the obvious question that I had out of the way, just one more, (for now). If I'm using a CD-ROM or A DVD-R-RW drive, what is the max drive speed that I could expect to function properly with this computer? Thanks for your time, C.G.

sirceegee, Jan 26, 2009
  5. sirceegee

Ranger Wolf

If your going through USB, i don't see any reason you wouldn't get the standard speeds of any pc. All the USB ports are USB 2.0. That should allow for full drive speed. just remember a drive will rarely ever hit full speed on any pc. it has to spin up for several minutes to achieve even close to it.

Ranger Wolf, Jan 26, 2009
  6. sirceegee

karona

Some external DVD writers come with software packages that require system specs higher than those of the AA1, the actual DVD hardware will still be recognised, and will still work, but you won't be able to use some of the features. I use an LG GSA-E60N 20X multiformat DVD writer that demands a 1.8 gig processor, 64meg video memory, 20 gig hd space, but works just fine on my 110 linpus, without fancy features like 'secureDisc'.

Keith

karona, Jan 26, 2009
  7. sirceegee

heckufaguy

I've had great success just sharing the dvd drive on my desktop and using it as the drive for my Acer.
    I've installed office 2007, streets and trips, and other software this way without a hitch. Some games only need the CD to load, while others (typically first person shooters, etc) need to see the cd in order to play the game.
    Any external drive should work, and if you check the laptop accessories , you'll find smaller more travel friendly versions.

heckufaguy, Jan 26, 2009
  8. sirceegee

hugemoth

I'm using an HP DVD-1040 USP external drive. It seems plenty fast, has no problems keeping up with playing DVD movies, transferring large files, burning DVDs, etc.. The only drawback is it's size. It's as big or bigger than the netbook.

hugemoth, Jan 26, 2009
  9. sirceegee

darshie76

I've got an old 35 dollars dvd burner, and a coolmax adapter (it lets you plug SATA, IDE devices, 2.5' and 3.5' via usb) for 19 dollars; so when i need an external dvd burner/player i simply plug it and it works fine.

Otherwise a fancy solution is an external ultra slim drive, usually between 70 and 90 dollars, but they are low profile and very portable ;)

darshie76, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question