User-friendly desktop switching (XFCE<->Acer Desktop) UPDATE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NaNo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. NaNo

salvam

The new update (at first post) it's working 100% and I had no problem on installing it.. tnx again to NaNo and keep good work mate!

salvam, Sep 14, 2008
  2. NaNo

wingers

great rpm, but one problem

after a while using acer desktop, suddenly all the icons and sections disappear leaving me with just the aspire one wallpaper with the search in the top corner, no connect, work, fun, files, preferences or help???!

removing the rpm solves the problem

anyone else had this problem

it is on a clean restore of my aao

EDIT: This happened regulary so just removed rpm, rebooted and reinstalled and touch wood is now okay, very odd!

wingers, Sep 14, 2008
  3. NaNo

Shad0wguy

Thanks for the rpm. I had wanted to do this but didn't want to screw anything up. Made it super easy. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: scratch that, I am getting the same problem as the post before this. On the Acer desktop the categories vanish randomly and I have to switch desktops to get them back.

EDIT2: Even after removing the rpm I am still having this issue. I hope I don't have to restore my system.

EDIT3: Ok, after a reboot it seems to be working flawlessly with no issues to speak of. Thanks for this simple mod.

Shad0wguy, Sep 16, 2008
  4. NaNo

Eckxszo Ihsanovic

how to remove/delete desktop icon? plz help... ;)

Eckxszo Ihsanovic, Sep 20, 2008
  5. NaNo

alexclayborne

does anyone know how to add icon the desktop. ie. firefox? Any help would be appreciated

alexclayborne, Sep 20, 2008
  6. NaNo

Eckxszo Ihsanovic

look at page 3.. :mrgreen:

Eckxszo Ihsanovic, Sep 21, 2008
  7. NaNo

logicalfrank

This RPM is really great. So great in fact that I want to get rid of it :D. Now that I've compared, I like the standard XFCE desktop so much better than the AAO one that I just want to be rid of the AAO and hence have no need for this switcher. (Besides, I think I've removed something that made my AAO desktop break.) Any ideas as far as how I might go about doing this? I've installed a bunch of software so I'd really prefer not to restore my system yet again.

logicalfrank, Sep 22, 2008
  8. NaNo

Yosser_UK

Hello. I've just got my One and was wondering what this switch does and why is it good? I've enabled advanced mode on my One so should I install this?

Thanks.

Yosser_UK, Sep 25, 2008
  9. NaNo

Grim Squeaker

It allows you to switch between the Acer interface and a normal desktop, similar to for instance a windows desktop. The "advanced mode" menu will actually be the "start" menu of this desktop. See the image for an example how it looks (without fancy wallpaper):

[​IMG]

Grim Squeaker, Sep 25, 2008
  10. NaNo

kapinouwi

for removing on or more icons on the xfce desktop use!

"Now, if you’re like me, and would like to have the icons gone from the desktop, create a file named xfdesktoprc in /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/ with the following in it:

[file-icons]
    show-filesystem=false
    show-home=false
    show-trash=false
    show-removable=true

Save and close, and reboot."

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... ultdesktop

kapinouwi, Sep 26, 2008
  11. NaNo

Kitism

Hey mate,

Excellent work on the package!

:D

I have a particular problem, however. I'm wondering if you can help me diagnose the problem and hopefully fix it for future releases! Anyhow, the change of desktops works fine and the XFCE interface works fine, however in the stock AAO interface, none of the shortcuts on the desktop function. The shortcuts will light up and expand when you roll over them, however clicking on them does nothing.

Would anyone know how to fix this?

Kitism, Sep 28, 2008
  12. NaNo

Dros

Hi,

I found a problem with desktopswitching, when you change the username to something other than "user", as I did and described in another article. It is because the script /etc/rc.d/session/switch-desk.sh uses the variable $USER in the path of copy commands. If the username is changed to something else than "user", the script can't find the homedir /home/user if the name has been changed to i.e. Smith because /home/Smith doesn't exist. It would be more elegant if the script would use the $HOME variable in the cp commands. Than it'll always work.

cu
    Dros

Dros, Sep 29, 2008
  13. NaNo

rjm

If you run into issues using the switch script, and/or would rather just use your custom xfce desktop all the time, I've written a guide that simply mods your A1 to run the xfce desktop from startup instead of the Acer default:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

rjm, Sep 29, 2008
  14. NaNo

bobynux

hello,

I installed the updated version of the rpm (the third one) but since then the network applet doesn't load every time I start. Sometimes it does, but often not.

more /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh gave me the following : sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet &

So I don't understand the problem. All worked fine til I installed Desktop switch...

Any help ?

Thanks for the work.

bobynux, Sep 29, 2008
  15. NaNo

bobynux

Well, I removed the rpm and the problem disapeared by itself.

I followed the following howto to keep the xfce desktop only and get rid of acer's one :

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

Everything works fine now.

bobynux, Sep 30, 2008
  16. NaNo

johnfante

I have the same problem. Switch to XFCE works fine and also back to AAO interface. But then the icons do not work anymore. The only thing that cures it is a reboot.

Thanks for a great little util. :)

johnfante, Oct 9, 2008
  17. NaNo

jape

Thanks NaNo for the utility, I much prefer the normal xfce desktop.

I do have the problem that others have mentioned. If i switch back and forth between the Normal desktop and the Acer desktop, the icons on the Acer desktop stop working.

Also since I installed the switcher I'm now getting the error message "Unable to contact the Xfce Wastebasket service" at startup "

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

It doesn't seem to cause a problem, but it is irritating. Don't know if this is related or not but it started after I installed the desktop switcher.

jape, Nov 7, 2008
  18. NaNo

jknights

Absolutely the best!!
    Thanks for posting it as an RPM. So easy.

jknights, Dec 18, 2008
  19. NaNo

armitage shanks

Hello, could someone tell me if the Acer desktop shortcut buttons should work after installing the switch?

armitage shanks, Dec 20, 2008
  20. NaNo

Rrrob

I installed this and then removed it and now I have an additional log off/shutdown button in the bottom left of my screen,just to the right of the home button, its the same as the one that was previously in the bottom right, but now duplicated, any idea what this is determined by? is there a file i can edit somewhere to get rid of it ? cheers

Rrrob, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question