User accounts on Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by t0m, Sep 19, 2008.

1. t0m

t0m

Hi all,

Just got my Aspire One. Lovely piece of hardware, just getting my head around the OS. This is a dumb question, but I've searched high and low and can't find an answer.

What is the best way of creating multiple user accounts on the Aspire One? By default it sets your machine up without any real user accounts, and I would prefer to have named users.

Thanks,

Tom

t0m, Sep 19, 2008
  2. t0m

kevin

Adding new accounts is easy--

% sudo /usr/sbin/useradd -m -c "Fred Blogs" fred
    % sudo passwd fred
    {and enter password}

But you'll also have to disable auto-login so you get the login prompt when you start the machine up. It's described elsewhere on this forum but I could dig out the details if you can't find it.

But I'm not sure this is a good idea on the stock Linpus machine. The problem is that the Linpus storage manager assumes that there is one user, and it's name is `user'. That user's working directory is the combination of the directory /home/user on the build in disk and the contents of any expansion SD card. If you add new users, they won't get the benefit of this automatic storage expansion.

I guess if you have the hard disk model none of this applies, however, as there's plenty of storage anyway.

PS. Unix access rights work by user and group _number_, not name. If you want to sync these accounts with another Unix/Linux machine, you'll need to make their user IDs match as well as their names.

kevin, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question