USB Serial - Multimeter Cygnal Integrated Products

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by simbo, Jan 19, 2009.

1. simbo

simbo

Hi,

I've just got a new multimeter from Maplins - a 'Precision Gold N56FU multimeter with USB PC Interface'

The USB interface on the meter is I think similar to the USB/Serial adapters, the meter just pumps out data at 2400 baud.

There is an entry on the Maplin FAQ for the meter that says it's compatible with QtDMM using, for example, the device on /dev/ttyUSB0

When I run lsusb I get the following ..

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.

The last couple of lines from dmesg when the device is plugged in are :-

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Does anyone know how to install a driver on the AAO that supports this usb/serial interface??

Kind Regards,

Simon

simbo, Jan 19, 2009
  2. simbo

Japser

Looks like you need a module called "cp2101". [http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_SERIAL_CP2101.html]

This module is not installed on the Acer/Linpus.

You may go here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4800&start=10#p37023
    Download and unpack that file, there is a large tree of compiled modules in "lib".
    There you will find it: lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.ko
    Copy that cp2101.ko to the corresponding directory in /lib/....
    You need to be root to do that. ( "sudo thunar" to start the filemanager as root )
    And run the command "sudo depmod" after that, that recalculates all the module-dependencies.

This might work, other people have used this method with other modules, but I cannot be sure in this case.

Japser, Jan 20, 2009
  3. simbo

simbo

Jasper you're a star - that was just the ticket!

Many Thanks,

Simon

simbo, Jan 20, 2009
  4. simbo

franssie

When combining this post with the post referred to (which has the link to the modules file) I also got the serial working (attached to a GPS in my case). However I somehow overdid something as I lost both all sound and the internal 3G functionality.
    I think I copied to much or less :oops:

Last night I did a full restore from CD (I am not that experienced in Linux as you know by now, i cannot fix what I break yet).

In the reply it is mentioned that 'you then copy the module to the corresponding /lib/...

My questions are which is then the correct directory and do I have to run "sudo depmod -a" as well?

franssie, Apr 17, 2009
  5. simbo

Japser

That should be

/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/

'depmod' recalculates the modules available in the system.
    So, without running depmod the system does not even know the module is there.

--Japser.

Japser, Apr 17, 2009
  6. simbo

franssie

Jasper, it just worked 0_/-\_
    I get clear gps reading and I even still have sound, 3G, wifi Network readings!
    And also thanks for confirming the kernel update bit - I thought so but after messing up my complete system I dared not to any more. Thanks again from this newbie (nice to type that again after mastering most of windows and OSX as a user).

franssie, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question