USB PenDrive - UnetBootin - how to prepare installation...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by melhiore, Sep 14, 2008.

1. melhiore

melhiore

What to do if we do not have any external CD/DVD drive but we want to install Linux on our AA1 :) Obviously it will work with most of the PCs on the market as long as they have USB Boot option in BIOS...

All you need is ISO of any Linux distro you fancy. If you have this on your HDD, go to: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and download software for your operating system.

[​IMG]

Software is not installing anything to your HDD. Just run it and enjoy. All you need is bit of common sense :)

I already prepared Mandriva 2008.1and it's working great. Also there is no problem with Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu 8.04.1

melhiore, Sep 14, 2008
  2. melhiore

tot31

Great, hope you'll enjoy Mandriva... :D

tot31, Sep 14, 2008
  3. melhiore

scottro

Out of curiosity, what system are you using when you run unetbootin?

I ask because on Fedora Rawhide, it complained about various missing packages (p7zip-full, which seems to be an Ubuntu version) as well as a missing vlod_---hrrm, memory escapes me now, it was, however, something in Fedora.

It seems to do better with Debian based systems. Running it on Ubuntu, it works as advertised. As I have Ubuntu on the same box running Fedora I used that. I gave it about 3 minutes of googling, which gave one suggestion about symlinking the vlod thing, but that didn't work. At that point, after mumbling to myself about how there should be some standardization, I gave up and booted to Ubuntu to run it. :)

That being said--I suspect that someone who only had Fedora could probably solve it with another 5 minutes of googling--I have to second the OP's opinion. A very handy, easy to use tool, and the one that I plan to use from now one when creating USB images to test on this.

scottro, Sep 14, 2008
  4. melhiore

melhiore

WinXP. And I do not have any problems so far. I did not prepared anything but Mandriva and Kubuntu. Probably, as you mentioned before, there are some other ways of preparing bootable USB stick but this one seems to be easiest for lazy users :) And TBH I really like it :)

melhiore, Sep 14, 2008
  5. melhiore

jango

I have already installed unetbootin but i can start it???

jango, Sep 15, 2008
  6. melhiore

tot31

Did you get any error when you tried to execute it? Are you using Linux or Windows version?

tot31, Sep 15, 2008
  7. melhiore

melhiore

You do not have to install anything - just run it. This software showing only one window - this one in my first post.

melhiore, Sep 15, 2008
  8. melhiore

jango

i have 3 error messages saying that i dont have installed "fdisk", "idvol" a "7zip", then start and say that i dont have any USB volume... :(

jango, Sep 15, 2008
  9. melhiore

encaputxat

linux users have to install some binaries, 7zip must have, and others i don't know, fdisk..

in the windows you can choose download distro from internet, or select you a iso.

but you can test and see results,

encaputxat, Sep 15, 2008
  10. melhiore

melhiore

Nice. You never said you use it under Linux....

Under linux there is very simple way of preparing USB Stick. Use syslinux under terminal :)

1. Plug USB stick, remember device name recognized by system - in my case that was sdg
    2. Under terminal login as root.
    3. type command syslinux -f /dev/sdg1 - where sdg1 is USB drive in my case, your name may be different... - this will make your USB bootable
    4. copy two files from this tgz: http://lordikc.free.fr/sources/kit_mdv2008.1.tgz to the root folder on USB
    5. copy all contents of ISO of your favorite distro - not ISO file itself...
    6. reboot
    7. enjoy...

melhiore, Sep 15, 2008
  11. melhiore

jango

how can i see the name of my usb stick and how can i copy the content of a iso file???

jango, Sep 15, 2008
  12. melhiore

melhiore

Device name you can see after plugging USB to your PC - you suppose to see dialog box with info about new device connected to system. I'm not sure how Linpus is showing this but there must be some sort of file manager which is showing devices names...

Content of ISO you can copy using Krusader file manager - I strongly recommend installing this - perfect tool, working very similar to Total Commander known from M$ Windows...

melhiore, Sep 15, 2008
  13. melhiore

jango

Is there any command on linpus to show USB name?

jango, Sep 15, 2008
  14. melhiore

melhiore

Terminal command: dmesg - USB devices are listed at the end of file (usually)...

melhiore, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question