USB Memory and External Drives

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NickVZ, Dec 30, 2008.

1. NickVZ

NickVZ

Hello,

I've just ordered a new Acer Aspire One - Linux - 8GB SSD and I'd like to buy a couple of USB Memory Sticks and a small external drive. My question is - do I just buy the regular off the shelf items (I have bought Kingston Traveler in the past and I also have an older WD passport drive) or do I need to buy something more specific for the Linux Operating system. Grateful for any views or advice.

Many thanks

Nick

NickVZ, Dec 30, 2008
  2. NickVZ

melhiore

Yes. Any will work...

I have three: one 16GB and 2x8GB. One with U3 others without. All works fine...

melhiore, Dec 30, 2008
  3. NickVZ

NickVZ

Cheers - Many thanks...

NickVZ, Dec 30, 2008
  4. NickVZ

evandwebber

Be warned: if you want to make a recovery usb, you'll need a certain type - not all seem to work for this purpose. Elsewhere on these forums, someone's suggested that sandisk cruzers work well (I haven't tried yet) but Rally's and Kingston's I have - and they've not been bootable.

evandwebber, Dec 31, 2008
  5. NickVZ

NickVZ

Thanks for the tip - I've yet to make a recovery USB yet, but when I do I'll get one of the SANDISK Cruzer ones just to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Nick

NickVZ, Jan 2, 2009
  6. NickVZ

Aspiration

I made a recovery usb on a kingston 4gb drive. plugged it in and the files are there, apparently. how do <i know if it will boot (without
    destroying stuff on the SSD?

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  7. NickVZ

solpuerto

Hi Aspiration

If your recovery USB stick has been compiled from the Acer recovery CD it will reset your SSD back to how it was when it left the factory. If you have made any changes such as stored data on the SSD it will be lost.

solpuerto, Apr 1, 2009
  8. NickVZ

libssd

Since you only have 8gb SSD, consider a class 6 (high speed) 8 or 16 gb SD card for the memory expansion slot.

In my experience, the read/write performance of USB flash drives varies tremendously. I have two 8gb flash drives, a Corsair, and a Patriot "Razzo" -- the latter is twice as fast. Unfortunately, it's hard to find reliable test results for flash drive speeds.

libssd, Apr 2, 2009
  9. NickVZ

Aspiration

Its important to make sure the drive is formatted in a compatible format for linux. I format it to FAT Iwin98 or Leopard OSX) and it reads the external usb 2.5" 30gb apple replacement notebook drive.
    Have not had problems reading from usb sticks either. Just need to be formatted for FAT (which most are).
    Was also able to read from an external CD ROM (Read Only Memory) and play videos on it.

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  10. NickVZ

Aspiration

Make that DVD ROM not CD ROM although it reads CDs too.

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question