USB Flash Drive causing Overheating?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by AceRyan, Dec 3, 2008.

1. AceRyan

AceRyan

So, I've had my AA1 for a couple months now and everything has been great. So, the past couple of days I have allowed my fiance to borrow my little friend for working on her thesis while she is at work. Yesterday when we both got home, I took the AA1 out of its bag and to my dismay, it nearly burned my hand just to pick it up! I opened tried to wake it from hibernation to see what was causing the overheating, but it would not wake up, the power button would just continue to flash amber. I immediately ripped the battery out then as I could tell it was nearing meltdown temps. My fiance had left her flash drive in the USB slot, and that is the only thing I can think of that could have caused it to overheat like this w/the lid closed. Is that crazy, or could that actually cause it to overheat, even while hibernating? BTW, it is WinXP, 160gb hdd, 1gb ram, and the AA1 seems to be fine, I am just glad I discovered it when I did, or it would have definetly been toast.

Any ideas or suggestions to prevent this happening again are welcome.

AceRyan, Dec 3, 2008
  2. AceRyan

squareflips

If the power button was flashing amber than it did not go into hibernation and instead into standby mode. I believe leaving the machine in its bag in standby mode will cause the machine to overheat (or at least produce alot of heat). I myself have accidently done this and it gets extremely hot. Quite unbareable to touch. So next time, make sure it goes into hybernation and not standby mode. And if you do go to hybernation, make sure it completes it before putting it in its bag. Sometime the darn thing fails to complete its hypernation process and it will end up getting extremely hot if kept in its bag. It happened to me a few times before. Now im extremely careful.

squareflips, Dec 6, 2008
  3. AceRyan

AceRyan

Thanks for the input squareflips. I almost always just close the lid and slip it in my bag. I guess it didnt really occur to me that it is in standby for a while then before actually hibernating. I wonder if the flash drive being in still caused it stay in standby instead of hibernating. In any case, I will be more careful in the future. And, I guess my first mistake was lending it to the fiance. ;)

AceRyan, Dec 6, 2008
Ask a Question