USB Device Error, No webcam

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Pyrarrows, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

I've got a little problem, a while ago the side of my acer one got very hot, and I started getting "USB Device ERROR" appearing on the screen, at first I thought that it might be the monitor port (As that was the hottest port) Then I thought that it was a damaged SD Card Slot, as the error was on a usb root hub with 2 ports, I sent it into Acer, where they checked for any damage, and upgraded the BIOS, and re-installed Windows (I have the Windows Version) I got it back, got that error again, and noticed that the webcam isn't in Windows Explorer any more, and Skype won't detect any webcam

So, they may have installed the wrong driver for the webcam (Seeing that there are 2 different types), and another device isn't working, or the webcam is dead

Pyrarrows, Jan 1, 2009
  2. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

Can't anyone help me?

Pyrarrows, Jan 7, 2009
  3. Pyrarrows

woodland

Did you try the other driver?

woodland, Jan 7, 2009
  4. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

No, where do I get the driver?

Pyrarrows, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Pyrarrows

ccuina

ccuina, Jan 8, 2009
  6. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

I downloaded and installed the driver, but still no webcam

Pyrarrows, Jan 8, 2009
  7. Pyrarrows

ccuina

So you mean click on "Scanner and cameras" in Control Panel and there's no Acer Crystal Eye webcam listed? Or it is listed but when you double click on it nothing happens?

What happens when you look into drivers status? Control Panel -> System -> HW -> Device Manager-> Imaging devices? Does Cryatl Eye web cam show? Any exclamation sign on the driver? If not, when you double click on Acer Crystal Eye webcam, what driver provider shows?

ccuina, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Pyrarrows

ismaelpc

Having the same problem, for the past few months my webcam working perfectly fine. Two days ago, it just suddenly stop responding (webcam). So what I did was tried uninstalling it and installing it back (the driver both SUYIN / LIte-on) but error keep on appearing that no webcam connected to USB.

I was thinking that my windows XP got a problem, i did reformat my harddisk, install new windows xp, then tried again installing everything. Still the same problem when it comes to webcam (no device can be detected..) when i try installing the driver. Ive got the latest drivers from Acer website itself.

Kindly help.

ismaelpc, Jan 9, 2009
  9. Pyrarrows

ismaelpc

I attached the screenshot for the error I'm receiving while installing the webcam driver.

ismaelpc, Jan 9, 2009
  10. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

EXACT same message on my screen, no webcam in the scanners/cameras section either

Pyrarrows, Jan 9, 2009
  11. Pyrarrows

ismaelpc

As i'm browsing all the forums regarding this problem, it seems that its consistent to all the users. A sudden not responding of the webcam, reinstallation problem. We just hope that ACER personnel hearing our grief regarding this problem. So far I'm not seeing any resolution in any of the forum here. Ive tried upgrading my WLAN Atheros, disabling/enabling the USB2 Enhancement in device manager but still failed to revive the webcam.

One option left, that is bring it to ACER Service Centre.

ismaelpc, Jan 10, 2009
  12. Pyrarrows

Kafkaesque

I am having the same problem—at the risk of sounding redundant—which is compounded by the following error:

[​IMG]

I have gone through a battery of supposed solutions: uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, etc. The whole rigamarole. Nothing works.

Kafkaesque, Jan 10, 2009
  13. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

Very annoying error message likes to appear from time to time

It is kinda rare, but when it appears, I can't get rid of it... it just pops back up as soon as I close it, it's on a 2 port USB Hub, one unused port, the other with the unknown device

EDIT: I contacted Acer Tech support, they will be taking it in for repairs, hopefully this issue gets fixed...

Pyrarrows, Jan 12, 2009
  14. Pyrarrows

ismaelpc

Good for you then...hope there someone in Acer to discuss what's going with their webcam. The reason for that message that keeps on appearing was that webcam just suddenly cannot be recognized. Can you ask the Acer Service personnel what they did? maybe they will just replace the camera module which was third party company, mine was SUYIN, the other was LITEon.

Keep in touch..let us know what they did...thanks

ismaelpc, Jan 13, 2009
  15. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

They said that they're going to check (And possibly replace) the USB Controllers... I included a note with a screenshot of the error (Look above) and saying that I have seen that error before when a USB Device went bad (I have a USB HDD that has a broken board in it, so when I plug it into a Windows Machine it gives that same error message)

Man I wish that I could get them to upgrade it to a Linux version... meh I can just re-partition it once I get it back, and have Windows and Linux on it. ;)

Pyrarrows, Jan 13, 2009
  16. Pyrarrows

ismaelpc

Any updates? did they fix your problem regarding your webcam. I'm thinking of rewiring the usb connection of the internal webcam..if the problem was that particular usb..but..i was just thinking of it :) but how do i test the internal webcam if it is working..hmmmm can i remove it and connect it to the external usb port hehe...just wondrin the possibility

ismaelpc, Jan 18, 2009
  17. Pyrarrows

Pyrarrows

I got my machine back 2 days ago. it has a new webcam, LCD Cable, and Motherboard

Now the whole thing works perfectly ;)

I'm sorta perplexed as to why they replaced the LCD Screen's cable though... I guess that they replaced the Mobo as a precaution, just in case it was with the USB Ports. at least all of this was under warranty!

EDIT wow it took about a whole month to get that thing back :roll:

Pyrarrows, Feb 6, 2009
  18. Pyrarrows

fr3d420

okay, ive tried just about everything to get my webcam working. im just about ready to do the same thing as you... may I ask how much shipping costs to send it back? (yea shame on me for being cheap. but srsly, this sux.)

fr3d420, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question