Uploading Pics Very Slow

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steveK, Oct 7, 2008.

1. steveK

steveK

Is there any way settings can be changed to allow for better uploading of pics? I am a seller on ebay,and I am wasting way too much time for my pics to load,thanks for any suggestions.

steveK, Oct 7, 2008
  2. steveK

Tamrac

What OS are you running? Linpus or XP? What do you mean by slow uploading, upload to your AAO? or to ebay? Please be specific so that we can help out better. Also state where the files are comming from like direct from camera or SD card, etc etc... size of the photos..... :?:

The Aspire One although just a netbook is a pretty decent performing laptop. I don't see any difference in performing simple photo uploads compared with other laptops.

Tamrac, Oct 7, 2008
  3. steveK

sdousley

As Tamrac says, this is probably no something to do with the One itself, but the size of the photos.

When you notice slowdowns on certain operations (i.e. sending something to/from the internet) there will be a "bottleneck" somewhere.

With the technology in the One, this is unlikely to be in the One itself, but will be the Broadband connection itself.

e.g. My Aspire one connected via WiFi can probably transmit around the house at 30-40 Mb/s steady, however my internet upload speed is 256Kb. Therefore, though the Aspire can get the data out at 30-40Mb/s it will only send at the slowest link in the chain (256Kb/s).

Assuming you have resized the photos to a more managable size (For ebay, i would think that 800x600 would be *PLENTY* big enough, and probably down to 640x480 would be fine (depending on how you lay out your ebay pages, and how large you have your images).

I would check the file sizes of the pictures that you are uploading before sending them to eBay.

This does look to be the size of the file you are uploading. Another option is to try uploading the SAME file (transferred with a USB stick) from the hard disk each time to ebay, and see if you notice that the file is slower on the One.

The other thing that I do recall is that certain operations are slower on Wireless than they are on Wired. Now, on the LAN, i can understand this, however this can have an effect on the speed you are able to connect to the internet (I know this shouldn't. but i have seen this be the case with various speed tests!) Maybe try connecting the One via Ethernet and try the upload again?

sdousley, Oct 7, 2008
  4. steveK

steveK

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I just found software which works with XP for resizing pics. To get it go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx . I thought I should folloup with this since there may be others like me out there with problems uploadings pics as well,who can greatly benefit from this. This software works great. To resize a whole folder of pics once you download it ,just click on edit,then select all,then right click your mouse and then click resize pics. This will save me a whole lot of time and frustration! I also had problems when using desktops to upload pics,but it usually wasnt quite as bad,so I figured it had something to do with the laptop. I am sure glad I am wrong about that though.

steveK, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question