Upgrading vBios or swap motherboard?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by c3300, Mar 18, 2016.

1. c3300

c3300

I've got a very old Packard c3300 that I use to play around with Puppy Linux on. It has a few graphics glitches, which I've tracked back to the vBios (videoBios). Apparently that version of Packard shipped with an incredibly out of date vBios, and the motherboard manufacturers never released a patch or update for the vBios.

There is a user-created upgrade somewhere, but all the links to it I can find are dead. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can upgrade it, or should I just bite the bullet and swap the motherboard and processor? If anyone has done a hardware upgrade on a c3300, I'd love some tips, because the case layout doesn't make that look like an easy job.

It's not a work machine, just something I fiddle with, so its no loss if I write it off. I just like the large screen and keyboard.

c3300, Mar 18, 2016
  2. c3300

Personablue

You could upgrade but there is no guarantee with a user created upgrade. It can brick your system.
    I also found all the links dead though.
    I think it's best to bite the bullet now. It will be a herculean task to upgrade this guy.

Personablue, Mar 18, 2016
  3. c3300

c3300

Yeah, thanks for looking. I've been looking at this for a few months now, and I think it will be swapping the parts, and probably getting something above the 128MB RAM is currently has while I am at it. Do you have any advice one which motherboard/processor combos are good for laptops and above all cheap?

The machine itself is only worth £5, so I don't want to waste real money on something I'm only doing for practice. My hardware skills on laptops so far have been limited to keyboards, screens, memory and hard drive upgrades (and batteries!). Processors and motherboards are a bit more involved and I want to learn on something I don't have to worry about breaking.

c3300, Mar 18, 2016
Ask a Question