Upgraded to WD AV-25 - too big!

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bluevolume, Nov 25, 2010.

1. bluevolume

bluevolume

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've been looking for the best hard drive upgrade for my AO721, and I finally decided to go with a Western Digital AV-25 320gb. This is a pretty impressive drive, with good performance and low power usage. I cloned my old drive (which was a PITA by the way) and got up and running with the WD.

Here's the problem, though, the WD is just a little bit taller than the Toshiba that was in there originally. Its probably only 1mm taller, but its enough so it makes the bottom panel stick out slightly. I'm wondering if its fine to just leave it like that, or maybe I could shave off a little bit of the panel on the inside? Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing with their Aspire One?

Also, what does the forum think of this hard drive? I really needed a bigger drive, and wanted something that was a little faster than the Toshiba 160 that came with it, but I'm very concerned about power draw (this is a big deal with the 721, since I only get about 3.5hrs as it is). The AV-25 seemed to be a good match, but is there anything else out there that I should be looking at?

bluevolume, Nov 25, 2010
  2. bluevolume

Swarvey Moderator

I'd be more concerned about the access panel putting pressure on the drive. As the labels usually say something along the lines of not applying pressure to the drive itself, you don't want to cause physical damage to it. I've just had a Toshiba laptop come through my workshop with dual 320Gb drives, one Toshiba drive, one Hitachi, they're both the same height though. So maybe you should be looking at something different.

Swarvey, Nov 25, 2010
Ask a Question