Upgrade SSD 8GB =>32GB - Transfer old-ssd-Content?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by coyote_mfr, Feb 11, 2010.

1. coyote_mfr

coyote_mfr

Hello there,

I have currently an ZG5-Model here with the SSD Model "SSDPAMM0008G1".
    I want to copy all the Disk-content to a new 32GB Supertalent SSD (FEM32GF13M). My first try has failed :-(

I've bootet a Live-Linux from an USB-DVD-Drive, mounted a NFS-Share to /mnt (I don't have a big enough USB-Drive here...) and executed the following Command with the old SSD:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/content.dd

Then I replaced the SSDPAMM0008G1-SSD with the FEM32GF13M-SSD, also bootet from the Live-Linux, mounted the NFS-Share again and executed the following command:
    dd if=/mnt/content.dd of=/dev/sda

The dd-Commands returned without errors, but the Aspire One is not bootable with the new ssd. The partition-table looks bad.
    How can I transfer all my Data from the old SSD to the new one?

Thanks in Advance.

Rgds
    Dieter

coyote_mfr, Feb 11, 2010
  2. coyote_mfr

TantalusFld

Dieter,

I've done this before by moving the original SSD to a desktop computer using a 1.8 zif to 3.5" adapter. I had a complete bootable copy.
    1) Copy entire original 8gb SSD to a temporary drive on a large computer using Easeus Drive Copy. Free download. http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Disk-Co ... 67157.html

2) Copy back to new 32gb SSD using Easeus Drive Copy. Will still be 8gb.

3) Test in Acer Aspire One for boot up.

4) Return to large computer, Expand 8gb to 32gb using Eastus Partition Manager. http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partiti ... 63346.html

You may be able to use the AAO itself instead of an adapter with a copy program that has it's own bootable operating system on an external cd drive and external usb drive connected at the same time to act as the temporary host. Easeus has a professional version pay download that will boot from a cd.

Jim

TantalusFld, Feb 11, 2010
  3. coyote_mfr

janetbrand28

i have had problem doing this. i think it is much better if you bring your laptop to a technician so that you wont do any damage on you laptop

http://www.schneeschuhe-laden.de

janetbrand28, Feb 13, 2010
  4. coyote_mfr

mhgoose

mhgoose, Feb 13, 2010
  5. coyote_mfr

Shad0wguy

This is the method I used as well. Enlarging the partition is simple using gparted from a bootable flash drive.

Shad0wguy, Feb 16, 2010
  6. coyote_mfr

Guest Guest

Make a disk image.

Guest, Feb 26, 2010
Ask a Question