upgrade problems from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by drfhm, Nov 24, 2009.

1. drfhm

drfhm

Acer aspire 1 AOA150-ab . 120gb . I changed the pre-installed version of Linux Lite and ran installed 9.04 remix for 8 months and everything without exception worked well. Then i upgraded to 9.1 when i was given the option shown after i lodged on . Now i have no wireless at all , wont find the netgear router i have always been using all this time but my pc uses it daily still . I added 9.04 again from the Flash boot disk i 1st used 8 months ago and installed it again but this time alongside 9.1 in a partition but it that also now wont find wireless as before , even if i boot from the stick i cant find wireless now . The other thing i cant do now is boot up from 9.1 straight away , as i installed 9.04 after i upgraded, it boots 9.04 1st unless i sit and wait for the screen and scroll down to 9.1 , a pain each time . Can 9.04 be removed or is there a way for my netbook to ignore the top 3 items , all 9.04 and boot from the 4th which is listed after OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS . I would be most grateful for help on either of these problems am im not that computer savy with anything other than basic instructions .

drfhm, Nov 24, 2009
  2. drfhm

bubbalooo

Your situation is a fairly straightforward fix go to the Ubuntu Forums and sign up and make a thread there is a much larger group of people willing to help you and many using acer netbooks.

bubbalooo, Nov 25, 2009
  3. drfhm

drfhm

This is going to sound silly but for some reason the last time I booted the AA1 I looked at WICD and my netgear was showing and at 90% , I looked at WIDI RADAR and RUBIT WALAN MANAGER all had been installed from ubuntu software centre on 9.10 earlier in the week in the hope that one of them might find my Netgear router but none of them had before . It has to have something to do with the things I tried an hour or so before discovering it mysteriously worked . I will give the things I tried in between having no wireless showing at all to logging on and automatically being connected without having to touch anything , hopefully someone will recognise the thing that did it and will be of help to others and of course I would also love to know for my own peace of mind .

Booted from the usb stick 9.04 , no wireless .

Booted from the partition 9.04 , no wireless

I then booted from usb stick again 9.04 and selected repair packages then tried again but still couldn’t find wireless signal

Booted from the usb stick again , it worked , pop up saying netgear available , right clicked and selected it ,a few seconds with a rotating coloured circle in its place then 4 green vertical bars . Opened WebPages no prob . Since the upgrade to 9.10 this had also failed to find wireless although it was the origin of the original installation from the LINUX LITE to ubanto 9.04 , just replacing it and no partitions at all .

Booted again this time selecting 9.10 from the bootlist , this was the original partition and had originally been 9.04 and only been upgraded a few days ago when a message showed while I was using 9.04 , this time when it was booting I had a pop up saying CONNECTED TO NETGEAR , then it automatically opened on homepage without touching a thing .

Another weird thing is that on 9.10 some of the icons have now changed from when upgraded and wireless wasn’t working , the HELP icon was blue with a question mark in it , now it’s a red and white lifebuoy . The QUIT icon was a grey button now its red and square as I had on 9.04 . Other icons were also diferent but not all .

One last thing , when i upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 afte an hour or two although i had shutdown and reebooted a couple of times i suddenly had black screen and nothing but onlight and fan . Had to flash bios with 3310 from acer website , that worked ok no problems at all except for no wireless .

What did I do that was right cuz I have no idea .I don’t think there was anything else I did at all other than the steps above .
    Now al I need to do so try to remove the old version 9.04 somehow so I don’t have to keep selecting 9.10 every time I boot .

drfhm, Nov 25, 2009
  4. drfhm

RockDoctor

Re: upgrade problems from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10

I'm afraid I won't be much help regarding your wireless problem. I use NetworkManager it hasn't failed me yet in either Fedora 12 or Ubuntu 9.10. I have had problems with earlier versions of both Fedora and Ubuntu, where sometimes wicd would work but not NetworkManager, sometimes the other way around, sometimes only manually bringing up the network would work, and sometimes none of the above would work.

It's going to sound like I'm nit-picking, but it's version 9.10 not 9.1. This isn't math class, it's Linux distro-land. The 10 in this case is for October. For Linux packages in all systems with which I'm familiar, what follows x.9 is x.10. ... and now you know, the rest of the story ;)

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2009
  5. drfhm

drfhm

Decided to bite the bulet and download the ISO file for 9.10 and Unetbooting and make bootable USB stick . Installed it wiping out everything else on the AOA 150 so it was the only OS . Almost everything worked out of the box , everything , was impressed . Added Skype via Medibuntu and that also worked after a little messing about . Odd that when i was trying 9.10 from the stick i installed Skype stright from a ling on another posting and it worked , when i installed the stick to the hardrive it dident . Seems the upgrade last week had a few things the ISO hasent , cant get aMSN now it needs tk8.5 whatever that is , did a search and cant find it , worked well on the upgraded version . Removed Empathy before trying to add aMSN now i cant get that back either , it says NOT AVAILABLE IN THE CURRENT DATA on Ubuntu softwear centre and isent even listed now on Synpac . There were icons available to add to the launchers i created on 9.04 but not on 9.10 , pity as all my launchers that i added into favorites such as yahoo , hotmail , tv prog lists now all look the same .

Since writing the above i added a coupe of things and sometimes when i boot up i find i no longer have wireless and the HELP icon has changed from a blue ? to a lifeboye and 2 launckers in the top pannel , the internet and volume have swapped their positions, tried the USB that i installed OS from and wireless is again conected automaticly , shut down remove it and go back to booting from netbook and its working again and everything back to normal , realy weird , wonder if 9.10 is unstable ,Any ideas ?

drfhm, Dec 2, 2009
  6. drfhm

RockDoctor

Composing this using Ubuntu 9.10 on my AOA150. No stability problems, and (somewhat surprisingly) no networking problems (yet).

As for amsn, it's in the Ubuntu universe repository. Make sure it's enabled in
    /etc/apt/sources.list. Then, in a terminal window, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install amsn
    This should pull in tk (and any other dependency). If you want empathy,
    Code:
    sudo yum install empathy

HTH

RockDoctor, Dec 29, 2009
  7. drfhm

Grinnders

Grinnders, Jan 4, 2010