Upgrade CPU etc?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Apteryx, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Apteryx

Apteryx

I have an Acer Aspire One 722; 11.6; AMD dual core CPU c50 (1.0ghz); 4GB DDR3 memory; 3 cell Li-ion battery 320GB HDD. Win7 Home Premium.
    Apart from a couple of small security apps, nothing has been loaded that was not pre loaded at purchase. I use it with a LAN connection to an external modem to date. Wireless only to test.
    I am very unhappy with performance. It takes 9 seconds to respond to a click in Windows. The battery lasted under two hours from fully charged. The touchpad rarely responds. Most personalization settings dont change. It may be a function of Win7 but I dont get a response to actions eg Save; cant tell if it has or not.

I have disabled the wifi and bluetooth and sharing options for security but cannot stop them resetting to "connect automatically"
    I have noticed that quite a number of programs have "Date Modified" dates of July 09 and Oct 10. Could this mean it is actually second hand?
    As I bought it to travel with the battery is crucial. Can I change the battery for a 6 cell or greater? Can I replace the CPU with say a 2.3 Ghz? (I realize it is welded to the motherboard which would also need replacing)
    Advice appreciated
    Thanks
    Vicki

Apteryx, Nov 29, 2011
  2. Apteryx

Swarvey Moderator

As standard, the small battery (3 cell) that comes standard with an AAO is only good for under 2 hours use. Probably less if using 3G, bluetooth or WiFi.

Your model came with a C50 CPU and that seems a little slow, I'm an AMD fan, I rarely go for intel, but the CPU in my D250 is a 1.6GHz Intel, so I've got to say, based on GHz alone, your CPU is slower, even if it is dual-core.

The touchpad settings can be tweaked in the control panel. Hopefully yours has come with a Synaptics touchpad, they're reliable and reasonably customisable.

The date modified information will be based on when the factory image for your AAO was created. Not necessarily when you bought the machine etc.

As for upgrades, yes, you should find larger batteries available. I bought a 12 cell (approx 10hr) battery for my D250 on eBay relatively cheap, so it might be worth your while shopping around for a good battery. Unfortunately you're right, the CPU's and GPU's in these netbooks are BGA (Ball Grid Array) and cannot be replaced / upgraded.

As far as performance goes, you might want to check how much RAM you have installed, if it's less than 2Gb, upgrade it.

Swarvey, Nov 30, 2011
  3. Apteryx

Apteryx

Thanks Swarvey :D

Apteryx, Dec 1, 2011
Ask a Question