Updating NetworkManager - some tips

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 12, 2008.

1. linker3000

linker3000

*** FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK ETC!! **

Hi,

As you may have read elsewhere, I have been playing with Bluetooth connections. I recently turned my attention to 3G USB dongles and updating NetworkManager because the svn version has better support for a whole range of other connection types beside WLAN and Wired LANs. Well, trying to do a 'yum update NetworkManager fails on a dependency check so I have worked round this as follows:

1) yum install redhat-menus
    2) wget ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/linux/fe ... 8.i386.rpm
    3) rpm -Uvh gnome-menus-2.20.3-1.fc8.i386.rpm --force
    4) yum update NetworkManager
    5) reboot

After step 4 and before the reboot, NetworkManager complained about not finding a required resource but my WLAN was still working.

After the reboot , I had to delete my saved WLAN network settings, wait for NetworkManager to find the network and re-enter my WPA key.

I now have the latest NetworkManager and it has an entry for 'Auto GSM network connection'

At this time I have not got my Huawei E220 3G dongle working. I have followed other instruction to load the Linux VMC drivers etc and I'm working on it!!

So far I have not found any problems with forcing the gnome-menus update and then updating NetworkManager.

[attachment=1:riwc0qsy]Screenshot.png[/attachment:riwc0qsy]
    [attachment=0:riwc0qsy]Screenshot-1.png[/attachment:riwc0qsy]

linker3000, Aug 12, 2008
  2. linker3000

herby68

hey great work my friend, did it too.
    now I´m looking forward to get my bluetooth stick running, and than its perfekt with your new networkmanager.

thx

a lot

herby

herby68, Aug 13, 2008
  3. linker3000

annafil

Hi there, I tried something similar (maybe not exactly, as I installed a few other packages) and after that I had problems with getting AAO desktop to start again.

I'm NOT saying this will happen if you force install gnome-menus, I'm just wondering what else I did :) Have you had any similar issues?

annafil, Aug 14, 2008
  4. linker3000

danne

Tried your tip, my E220 works perfectly, but my WLAN doesn't work well at all, I have to retype the WPA password every time. One step forward and one step back.

danne, Aug 17, 2008
  5. linker3000

aspireonehk

updated networkmanaager ?
    Fowlowed your guide but couldnt update this ......
    it says it conflict with the desktop or something
    anyway with this updated manager do you have the option to create a ad hoc network by any chance?

Many thanks for any reply

aspireonehk, Aug 20, 2008
  6. linker3000

linker3000

According to this article [ http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/29 ... -imminent/], Acer will soon be releasing new connectivity tools so it may be worth waiting to update.

With regards to the AA1 suddenly not remembering WEP/WPA keys, this seems to be also happening for people who have not upgraded NetworkManager so I do not think it's directly related to upgrading NM.

linker3000, Sep 1, 2008
  7. linker3000

annafil

Network Manager not remembering passwords is usually a result of the "advanced desktop" hack. There is a long thread about this, and I've posted the solution there.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395

annafil, Sep 1, 2008
  8. linker3000

madwoolything

I've been using the upgraded version of Network Manager in Ubuntu & Xubuntu and not having fantastic results ..... so I'm reluctant to upgrade my Acer yet.

Does anyone have any more news on the new connectivity tools that Acer are planning to release? Any proposed date other than imminent?

madwoolything, Sep 9, 2008
  9. linker3000

Arwen

Hiya, I'm a newish user... bought my AA1 mostly for use at uni because it's so wonderfully portable... only I can't connect at uni!
    The network there needs me to have automatically assigned WEP key, PEAP verification and globalsign root CA. Am I right in thinking that the expansion in this thread will give me these options? The tales of problems afterward are putting me off - I'm a very inexperienced Linux user and would probably not be able to fix any complications it threw up.

I am wondering if the reported new connectivity tools will solve my problem and if I should wait for them - but then there is no release date and I don't even know if those will fix this. Any advice is welcome.

Arwen, Sep 9, 2008
  10. linker3000

Dros

Hi,

I installed as the instructions say, but in the mobile section I get not config window after clicking to "add". Simply nothing happens. LAN, Wireless, etc is working.

On the other hand, if I try to establish a wpa-enterprise connection with TLS encryption, I can't click the ok button, it's greyed out. I tried some other setting, there the ok button is working, it's just the TLS encryption which doesn't work. Any ideas what to do with that?

TIA
    Alex

Dros, Sep 15, 2008
  11. linker3000

NeilB

I could not add my 3G dongle until I did a soft reboot with the dongle attached. I suppose as I had no ttyUSB0 there was no 3G network to add so nothing started.

However, everything works until I shut the lid. When the A1 comes out of sleep my network icon has gone but the light is still on. I have to reboot to get the network manager icon back.

Any ideas?

NeilB, Sep 28, 2008
  12. linker3000

craggsy

Oh great ran this, reboot then I get this error trying to run NetworkManager

It can't open libnssutil3.so - no such file. Well the file is there but it doesn't seem to work. Please help as I have no connectivity on my AAO now.

craggsy, Oct 1, 2008
  13. linker3000

craggsy

Just to further this I saved all my stuff i wanted, restored, booted up tried this again, same result. So it doesn't work for me, guess I will have to wait for acer or someone to make the VPN work.....

craggsy, Oct 2, 2008
  14. linker3000

madwoolything

Acer's idea of imminent does not seem to be too speedy ..... anyone any news on this?

madwoolything, Oct 5, 2008
  15. linker3000

craggsy

Just on the acer update, I emailed them asking whether they would be releasing an update to add vpn support, they said it wasn't planned for the foreseeable future.

craggsy, Oct 6, 2008
  16. linker3000

ste

Hello!

How can i get the new link to follow and upgrade the network manager?!'Cause the procedure in the first post doesn't work now!!!

ste, Oct 13, 2008
  17. linker3000

ste

I have find the file and i follow the procedure....but now...i'm networkmanager doesn't work more!!!!PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!
    I have followed exactly the procedure....but after reboot my lan doesnt work and i cant open network manager!!

I CANT CONNECT ANYMOREEEE NOWW!!!!

ste, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question