update to ubuntu GNOME 14.04

Discussion in 'Linux' started by joes1907, Oct 11, 2015.

1. joes1907

joes1907

Hi,
    I have done a basic update from USB drive, to ubuntu GNOME 14.04 (I had GNOME 13.10 before).

After the update, the computer frequently freezes, for example when surfing, or going to system settings, regular operation.

Tue update did not ask anything about dividing the hard disk into partitions, I simply chose the erase all disk option.

What could cause these freezes?

Thanks a lot!

joes1907, Oct 11, 2015
  2. joes1907

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Off the top of my head...

Is it possible that you didn't tell the Installation to make a Swap Drive Partition? (I simply chose the erase all disk option).
    I normally make a 2Gb Swap file on my Hard drives, allocating the rest to the OS.

As an aside... why a full Ubuntu OS? it is at least a couple of Gb (possibly 3.5 Gb) and that is just the original ISO...

Linux Lite (https://www.linuxliteos.com/) is only around 800 Mb...
    It is based on Ubuntu LTS 3-13-2 I believe. LTS stands for Long Term Support

It was built to help wean Windows Users over to Linux. (Not that I am hinting or even thinking that you can't cope... just that some windows users may view this page and any chance I can get to tempt them to the 'Dark Side' and I'll take it ! )

It can made portable using Unetbootin and allocating around 500Mb as a Persistence Partition on a 4Gb USB Stick (as against ONLY being used as a Live Installer)

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 11, 2015
  3. joes1907

joes1907

Thank you very much!

How do I set swap drive partition?

Isn't the basic installation handling all the is necessary to the OS?

joes1907, Oct 11, 2015
  4. joes1907

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Officially it says in How to install Linux...
    Ubuntu's installation should partition the drive for you automatically, and unless you have any special needs (like if you're on a Mac), you can breeze right through the installation with no problems. If not, you may be given a more advanced partitioning tool, and you'll have to create the partitions yourself.

If this is the case, you'll actually want to create two new partitions. One is for the operating system itself, which I'd format as Ext4. Give it at least 10 GB of space, and set the mount point as /. You'll want to create the second partition for what's called swap space. This essentially helps your computer manage memory more effectively and keeps it running fast. If you have a small amount of ram (one or two GB), you'll want your swap partition to be twice as large as the amount of RAM you have. If you have 3 GB or more, you can probably just make a swap partition that's the same size as the amount of RAM you have.

Unless you are going to try to re-install from scratch - exactly the way you did before and see if it was 'just' a glitch -
    you could try the advice above - by ticking the Advanced function instead of the erase all option, I haven't used the RAW Ubuntu distro since I discovered that they were going the way of Microsoft and not allowing choice... so, I'm not sure what options they allow you now-a-days... research on line just reinforces my decision to stay away from main-line Ubuntu - that's why I ended up using Linux lite..

The thumbnail below shows what your hard drive should probably look like [maybe even simpler if only Linux on board] using Gparted (NOT GParted as its header says, spelling is everything in Linux) Click on it to see 'the bigger picture'

Sorry I'm not being more helpful...

Attached Files:

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 12, 2015
Ask a Question