update - NOT QUITE SOLVED! Airport done gone disappeared!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sunster, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sunster

sunster

Hi folks.

I have an odd question. Have been successfully using ideneb 10.5.8 for a while now without any problems. However, I was away on business and was trying to use my external huawei usb modem. So, to avoid confusion I simply turned airport off from the menu bar and altered the order from the system preferences to pick up the usb modem first.

So far so good - everything worked fine til I returned home and tried to access my wifi using airport. Now I can't get airport to turn on and when I try to do this from system preferences it freezes the app and I have to force quit.

The usb modem still works fine but that's as good as it gets.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks.

UPDATE - solved this one myself...

went to terminal and typed in...

sudo ifconfig en0 up

I'm keeping this one on as usually en0 refers to ethernet, and en1 refers to airport, but this wasn't the case with my netbook.

Hope this helps someone out there!

...Actually... not quite...and this is where my expertise (ie. lack of) fails me.

I think this is a simple question to answer for someone out there. When I restart my netbook I have to go back to the terminal each time and retype sudo ifconfig en0 up.
    How do I solve this so that my airport is back on and up and running every time I reboot without having to go thru the terminal?

Thanks,

Sunster

sunster, Jan 20, 2010
  2. sunster

yohko101

have you tried to take the usb wifi off/delete from the connections list in the network preferences, then reboot, and add it again?

yohko101, Jan 21, 2010
  3. sunster

AK963

Thanks for sharing the - if only temporary - solution, I had the same problem a while ago on Leopard after plugging in a USB bluetooth dongle.

AK963, Jan 21, 2010
Ask a Question