Unofficial Aspire One Windows XP Recovery Disc

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by imcrazy, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imcrazy

Nestone50

Yeah, if it's an OEM disk from the PC manufacturer, it most likely won't work. However, if you netbook is dead, you don't have anything to lose by trying. What you really need is the "clean" XP install disk from Microsoft. I'm nearly 100% certain the your netbook came with the Home edition of XP. Found this listing on eBay. You can get the disk here for less than $15.00.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-XP-...575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ff749777

Nestone50, May 20, 2015
  2. imcrazy

birchy65

Thanks....just looking on Ebay at the moment. The one you linked to in your last message needs your PC to have a DVD drive which I don't think the Acer Aspire One does.....unless I'm wrong. I'd need to check.

birchy65, May 20, 2015
  3. imcrazy

Nestone50

You can do one of two things. You can find someone who has a computer with a DVD disk and then copy the disk to a USB flash drive. You would then need to go back to your netbook and get into the BIOS and select the option to first boot to a USB device and install it that way. The other option, and the one I used, is to get an external DVD player that also connect via a USB port. The Windows install disk will look to a DVD player anywhere it can find one. It found my external DVD player and started to install without further input on my part.

Nestone50, May 20, 2015
  4. imcrazy

birchy65

I think I'm losing the plot!! lol
    The Acer doesn't have any drive on it....I do have an external DVD drive so no worries there.....anyway I am currently watching an ebay sale and someone is selling an original XP disc with a code (not that I need one) and also a SP3 disc with it so I might end up with that.
    I was quoted £51 uk pounds for an Acer disc (from Acer themselves) but the netbook isn't really worth spending that on....I won't be using it online as I have my main laptop (also Acer with Win8 installed) which I'm using now....the idea of the Netbook is for carrying around on public transport and using for word processing etc. I have both Microsoft Office and the Open Office package so one of those will go on it.

Thanks Again, I appreciate your help

birchy65, May 20, 2015
  5. imcrazy

Nestone50

If you buy the XP disk, just be sure you get the Home edition. Your product key on the bottom on the netbook won't work with any other edition. The Pro edition is the one most commonly seen on eBay for sale. However, that won't work for you.

Nestone50, May 20, 2015
  6. imcrazy

birchy65

Just double checked and the photo of the discs shows Home Edition so fingers crossed!

birchy65, May 20, 2015
  7. imcrazy

oldcity

If above fails and you are a little adventuerious Linux MInt 17 (Rebecca) would serve you well. It has a try before install
    feature. Its free and can be installed from a usb device.

oldcity, Jun 10, 2015
Ask a Question