Uninstalled Firefox and then ... (HELP)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Alyssa, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Alyssa

Alyssa

"dragged a buttload of dependencies with it."

Hello, Newb here. I was trying to upgrade the default Firefox 2 on my Acer Inspire one Linpus Linux Lite 1.0.9.E. But seeing that it can't be upgraded the conventional way (through the Check Updates on the Help drop down box), I uninstalled it and then was hoping to install firefox 3 after the uninstallation. But I run to a big snag. The Right click menu, which had so much directories is now kinda bare. and when I click the home button, I get:

Could not run command: xfdesktop2 --gohome:
    Failed to execute child process "xfdesktop2" (No such file or directory)

Also, the traditional menu, the menu/desktop which pops up after clicking the home menu, doesn't work anymore.

edit

turn for the worse

I reinstalled Firefox, hoping that everything would be ok, but NVR. But at least I have a platform to connect on the internet. I tried to installed KFCE (wrong spelling I think) desktop environment but was met with a couple of errors. (Some dependecies/libs were missing). I tried to search for it on the web, installed one, but still met with "lib already been installed". I rebooted, and now...there are no more right clicks, no more icons, just a black unresponsive screen, sans the space where I can type sites on the internet.
    I also can't access the terminal via alt+F2 .

Please please please please help

Alyssa, Sep 16, 2010
  2. Alyssa

RockDoctor

Ah, the joys of Linpus. Not sure what you need to reinstall, but If you need it, I have an image of Linpus Lite as provided for the AOA110 (ZG5) online at http://deli.no-ip.org/aa1 which you are welcome to download. Uncompress it, then use dd to write it to a 4GB flash drive. Assuming your flash drive is /dev/sdb, the command will look something like this:
    Code:
    dd if=aa1_usb_recovery_image of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
    The resoration will completely wipe your Aspire One's drive, so only do this as a last resort.

It is with good reason that many of us have replaced Linpus Lite with an up-to-date, well-maintained distro.

RockDoctor, Sep 16, 2010
  3. Alyssa

Darryl

Darryl, Sep 17, 2010
Ask a Question