Uninstall Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by azz2811, Feb 12, 2009.

1. azz2811

azz2811

hello i have figured that ubuntu is not for me and i want to uninstall it but i cant find out how do do it so can anyone tell me how to do it.

thanks

azz2811, Feb 12, 2009
  2. azz2811

itres

what do you mean by uninstalling?
    if it is the only os then you can just install the os of you choice on the same partition.
    if you have dual boot then boot in the other os en restore the mbr then simply use a partition editor to wipe out the partition where ubuntu is installed.

grtz

itres, Feb 12, 2009
  3. azz2811

azz2811

yeah its a dualboot with windows xp but i dont know how to restore the mbr

azz2811, Feb 12, 2009
  4. azz2811

azz2811

any help?

azz2811, Feb 12, 2009
  5. azz2811

bd4e

Boot from Windows XP CD, go to the recovery console and use fixmbr command.
    Hope it helps

bd4e, Feb 12, 2009
  6. azz2811

azz2811

ahh ok thanks i dont have a external cd drive is there any other way to do it?

thanks

azz2811, Feb 12, 2009
  7. azz2811

csmo

csmo, Feb 12, 2009
  8. azz2811

azz2811

thanks i know how to do it with the cd drive but that doesnt help me how to do it without one. or is there no way?

thanks

azz2811, Feb 13, 2009
  9. azz2811

scudder2u

Hi azz281,
    Dont worry you can restore it to the factory state. I copied these from ipconfig.com.nl but the site now appears to be down (I originally posted the link in the dual boot section.

Here are the instructions as they appeared on the site:

Can't access Acer D2D recovery

21 April 2008 Author: Josh Hand Windows

I have previously mentioned that we have a bunch of acer laptops here at work. I once again found myself in the position where I needed to use the built in D2D (disk to disk) recovery to restore a machine to its factory default's. The normal process for doing this is to go into the machines bios, ensure D2D recovery is enabled, then restart the machine holding down "Alt + F10" and then following the ghost wizard but this machine wouldn't enter the wizard.

After lots of head scratching and trying various different things I came to the conclusion that the MBR (master boot record) must either be corrupt or the acer bit had been deleted. Luckily I was still able to get into the box so I checked out the acer eRecovery tool and went in search of the hidden partition. After some trial and error, I have come up with the following process for getting the D2D recovery working via the "Alt + F10" method again.

* Required:

1. PTEDIT32 (free utility from Powerquest)
    (scudder2u note: you will definitely need this)
    2. ACER eRecovery (download from ACER)
    (scudder2u note I didnt need this)
    3. Hidden D2D Recovery partition (chances are this hasn't been deleted and you will have it but if you know it has then this method is no use to you sorry)

* Steps:

1. Once you have downloaded the files unzip/install them.

2. We are looking for the acer rtmbr.bin file which is on the hidden partition.

3. To activate the hidden partition we need to run the PTEDIT tool.

4. You will see multiple partitions in a list, we are after the one that has its type set to 12.

5. Change the type to 07 and save and restart your machine. Once the machine has restarted you will see a new partition available under My Computer.

6. Search the new partition for rtmbr.bin and copy it into the directory containing mbrwewin.exe (mbrwewin.exe comes with the acer eRecovery install).

7. Open a command prompt and browse to the directory containing the rtmbr.bin and mbrwewin.exe, then run,

mbrwrwin install rtmbr.bin

8. This will update the master boot record and when you reboot you should have the Alt + F10 available to you so you can do the factory ghost restore.

Let me know if you still need help. I have done this numerous times and it has worked like a charm. No external CD required!

Good luck

scudder2u, Feb 13, 2009
  10. azz2811

vautrin44

If you have problems, there is an XP program called Partition Magic that might help you. DonĀ“t remember how to use it, but I used it to work with partitions installing Xubuntu in another computer.

vautrin44, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question