UK Keyboard and other issues caused by powering off

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ballistic, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic

Hi - just got my aspire1 for xmas, looks great but I had a few teething issues.

The unit was powering off while booting up or shortly afterwards. After charging the battery and running without the AC plugged in, I discovered it was set to power down if running on AC after zero minutes as default! I changed this to 15 mins and it seems to be working fine although I did find it powered off once when plugging in the AC while working off the battery.

The two problems I am left with because it kept failing to boot:

It didn't appear to save the first ever password I put in (it powered down as I hit eneter the first time) so now when I go into passwords,it does not recognise my password and i do not know the admin password.

Secondly, it did not save my regional settings so it has an English keyboard but with the US layout so keys like @ are in the wrong place.

I do want to get more into linux and learn how to use the advanced features, but any thoughts on my initial gripes would be much appreciated.

merry xmas!

Brian

Ballistic, Dec 26, 2008
  2. Ballistic

Sim

To get a UK keyboard you will need to do an initial Live Update in the Settings menu. Takes a fair while to download all the updates but you will eventually have an additional icon in the setting menus to allow you to set to the UK (or any other for that matter) keyboard.

Sim

Sim, Dec 26, 2008
  3. Ballistic

daldred

You might like to search the forums for 'oobe' - this is the Acer program which runs the first time you start you One. You can run it again, and reset your password and language options as though starting from fresh: the precise way to do so is listed on the forum somewhere!

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
  4. Ballistic

Ballistic

Hi - yes the system update fixed the UK keyboard issue and running oobe with admin rights worked even though I couldn't find the file. So all is good - thanks.

Ballistic, Dec 27, 2008
  5. Ballistic

Ballistic

The bl**dy thing started powering off again over and over again and now wont start properly with missing icons and error messages. This is going back to the store.

Ballistic, Dec 28, 2008
  6. Ballistic

daldred

Right decision, I'd say - you seem to have a defective one.

daldred, Dec 28, 2008
  7. Ballistic

Ballistic

I now have a brand new AA1 which does not continually restart itself and I can confirm that all the configuration issues the other one had appear to be because it never even managed to boot up fully the first time I turned it on. I will have to run all the updates again but I am happy now.

Ballistic, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question