Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the AAO 751h

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Azrael, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael

...works FANTASTIC!!
    There's only one thing that didn't work out-of-the-box: the GMA500 video driver. Gnome was unbearably slow until I ran the "poulsbo.sh" script that downloads the latest drivers/workarounds.

AAO came with WinXP Home. F*** that sh**.
    Formatted UNR onto a 2GB flash drive I had lying around, piano-keyed the F-keys to find the right one for the BIOS (was F2 or F4, can't remember), changed boot priority, and installed UNR as a dualbooting setup.
    Let me put it this way... the last time I installed Linux of any flavour, it was a bit of a chore. You had to know what you were doing ,and you spent about 2 hours deciding what packages to install. This was the polar opposite. It just worked!

Will need to up the size of the partition soon, I split the drive in two equal portions but haven't actually rebooted to Windows since I installed, so that should tell you how easy all this is =D

It's been years since I've tinkered with Linux in any way or form, so I was pretty green... but in three days I've gone from 'Nix N00b to packet-injecting wardriver :lol:

Re-living my teen years =) The wife is irritated that I'm spending so much time on it too... I haven't had this much fun with a computer for a long time.

Azrael, Nov 11, 2009
  2. Azrael

scultetus

Hi. Nice to know its working that good. Have you noticed some freezing or lock up when using it with Ubuntu?

Thanks.

scultetus, Nov 11, 2009
  3. Azrael

Twan013

I would also like to know this. It seems that freeze-ups are widespread across the 751h name, whether you're using linux, XP, 7, etc. etc.. But I think the second part of the question should be "did you have freeze ups before UNR?"

Twan013, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Azrael

Azrael

Sorry it took so long to get back, guys.
    Nope, no freeze-ups on UNR that I experienced, just one or two app crashes when I was trying to be too fancy with what I was doing.

I eventually abandoned UNR, though, and have now gone with vanilla 9.10, as I b0rked the video drivers one too many times and couldn't fix it.

Azrael, Feb 22, 2010
  5. Azrael

Indie

I'm not so Linux fancy, so i just went with JoliCloud, EASY,SIMPLE,FRIENDLY. Last time I tried Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Kola I had broke my GMA 500 driver and had to boot in low graphics mode. I fixed it though, but it was still to much for me, waaay to much last time I messed with Linux was when I was 13. Never again...never again.

Indie, Feb 22, 2010
  6. Azrael

trumpeldor

Agree with previous post
    Jolicloud works great with 751h ! :mrgreen:
    Installed on double boot with Win 7 and jolicloud seems much more reactive

trumpeldor, Feb 22, 2010
  7. Azrael

Pytheas

Please use the appropriate thread to talk about Jolicloud: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19570

...and keep this one for posting stuff on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Thanks!

Pytheas, Feb 22, 2010
Ask a Question