ubuntu eee mic

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by irishhhhh, Oct 28, 2008.

1. irishhhhh

irishhhhh

am i correct when i say that no one has gotten their mic working in ubuntu eee on their ones?

irishhhhh, Oct 28, 2008
  2. irishhhhh

jeffyeh

I can't say that no one's gotten it working, but I can say that I haven't had a single configuration with Ubuntu-eee that has had a functional mic. I've tried: stock kernel with various alsa-base options set to model=(acer, toshiba, basic), and have had sound on resume, but no mic at all, petamaresh's kernel gave me some major issues with wireless, N6546R's kernel (in the N270 optimized kernel thread here) has been working well, though I still don't have mic or sound after resume. The aao custom kernel that was built for OneLinux has also been working for me, although nothing is fixed from N6546R's kernel (still no mic, no sound on resume). Card reader's haven't been extensively checked; I know the left one will mount SD cards on boot and when inserted, I haven't tried suspend/resume with a card in.

I'm not sure why I haven't had wireless issues like seemingly most people here (no module rebuilds, nothing to install, wireless has been working out-of-box for me), but instead have been having audio issues. This could be due to the fact that I'm not running a clean install of Intrepid, and previous had installed alsa1.8.04rc3 (I think?). I'm not sure how installing it affects kernel configured modules (or even if that's how it works), but I'm planning on a clean install of Intrepid when it comes out.

jeffyeh, Oct 29, 2008
  3. irishhhhh

irishhhhh

ive gotten everything working that i want but the wireless switch ( i got the led working ) which isnt too important to me and the mic, which is very important, i chat overseas with my daughter on skype and phone conversations are just too bloody expensive. skype is the main reason i got my aspire one, limpus was just not very user friendly and i find ubuntu eee to be perfect for my needs, minus these two problems.

irishhhhh, Oct 29, 2008
  4. irishhhhh

dirk

The internal mic in my AAO 110 running Ubuntu-eee works just fine.
    I have used it for a skype call with no problem at all.

The alsa drivers need upgrading to make this happen, there's a post around here somewhere with a link to a script that does the heavy lifting for you. That same thread mentions something about not using the script as it adds lots of unused stuff, which is fair comment, but it works fine anyway, so just use it :)

dirk, Oct 30, 2008
  5. irishhhhh

irishhhhh

ive been searching and i cant find it, id really appreciate it if you would send a link. :) if your right, you just made my day!

irishhhhh, Oct 30, 2008
  6. irishhhhh

dirk

I think this was it, check the download links at the bottom of the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962695

With this done, you get volume back too, before the sounds could barely be heard when at max, now I can listen to an audiobook on the One at the other side of the room :)

dirk, Oct 31, 2008
  7. irishhhhh

irishhhhh

works great! thanks, took about 20 minutes too install. :)

irishhhhh, Nov 1, 2008
  8. irishhhhh

finnbakk

Are you still satisfied with the EEE Ubuntu one Acer Aspire One?
    Is everything working? Is it possible to merge the system on the internal SSD disk with the left exp. card?

finnbakk, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question