Ubuntu-eee, alsa (and pulseaudio?): sound problems

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by aykito, Oct 13, 2008.

1. aykito

aykito

I have a Acer Aspire One 150L laptop, and I have installed the Ubuntu-eee distribution, which makes almost everything run out of the box.

One of the things not working is the sound.
    Despite the alsa drivers should support the hardware, I can't make all work (microphone, speakers, earphones...) and keep it working after suspend.
    There is a lot of information in forums to making it work but so far for some reason every method is failing.
    As described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
    After rebuilding ALSA, and editing the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, the only configuration option with sound working is:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    The behaviour is anyway funny. Running in the console
    Code:
    aplay -Dplughw:0,0 -fcd /usr/share/sounds/question.wav
    works only sometimes. Running the command twice in a row makes it work the second time. And reproducing a video the sound is working only after a couple of seconds. The impression is that there is some king of buffer and only when it is full, the sound starts.
    Unfortunately the internal microphone is not working, neither after configuring the properties with alsamixer.
    The options
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    options snd-hda-intel model=basic
    Do not even make sound work...

I have reinstalled the newest version of the alsa drivers (1.018rc3), both with the script found in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5792918&postcount=104, and also directly with the options
    Code:
    ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-sequencer=yes&&make&&make install
    At some moment after installing sound and micro did work (I don't remember which which 'options snd-hda-intel model=XXX') but not after suspend.
    I was doing some tries more with the 'options snd-hda-intel model=XXX' (also without that line) to fix the suspend issue but now I'm not even able to reproduce the state of micro and sound working before suspend!.

What I find very strange is that right after login (my system is configured to do it automatically), the login sound IS WORKING. But later I can't hear anything anymore.
    But if it is a problem in the drivers, the sound should never work!
    To make the sound work I have to write
    Code:
    sudo alsa force-reload
    And the, independently of the 'options snd-hda-intel model=XXX' everything is working perfectly (micro, speakers, aux output...).
    I have compared the list of processes before and after the 'alsa force-reload' and the only difference is that right after two processes are missing:
    Both are PulseAudio modules. It could be that Pulse Audio is blocking the sound, but killing and restarting pulse audio with:
    Code:
    pulseaudio -k
    pulseaudio -D
    Does not fix anything if the sound is not working, and does not break the sound if it is working before.
    By the way, when starting PulseAudio ('pulseaudio -D') I can read the output:
    I have been checking the system logs and I have found problems with both alsa and pulseaudio:
    In kern.log
    (several times)
    In messages
    Is it a problem with the alsa drivers? But then I couldn't hear the login sound!
    Is it a problem with the alsa configuration? But then 'alsa force-reload' should not repair it!
    Is PulseAudio messing up the sound? But then killing and restarting should repair it.
    Is there some other component loaded after the login sound which breaks the sound?

I have no clue, I don't know what's different in my system because some people make it work with the alsa drivers 1.018rc3.
    Did someone solve this problem before?

aykito, Oct 13, 2008
  2. aykito

spinnekopje

If you have followed the guide you might have the next in your rc.local:

Code:
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    I had the same problem with sound not working immediatly. Try a movie and you might notice that the first seconds of sound are just missing. When you comment that out you might always get sound. I didn't use it this time I installed and my sound doesn't need seconds to produce noice.

On my 8.04.1 installed here I only set the volume in alsamixer, with an acceptable sound level for me. As I don't use the mic and I always do a normal shutdown/boot, I don't know about those.

spinnekopje, Oct 14, 2008
  3. aykito

Boffy

Just had this problem. A very useful fix. Thanks

Boffy, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question